Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because Honda apparently no longer offers traditional body side molding to protect doors from dings (at least not in PMM color), I opted for the rocker panel trim moldings, which also are supposed to provide some protection from thoughtless neighbors in parking lots.

However, the rocker panel trim comes only in a silver color. I didn't realize that until I saw the trim installed on my vehicle. It is in sharp (and, to my eye, not very pleasing) contrast to the nice PMM body color.

The theory is that the silver color matches the trim around the front grille and on the back hatch. But I sure wish it matched the PMM body color. It would also be better if it were black like the rocker panels. The idea, for me, is to provide protection without being visually obvious -- but the silver color really makes it stand out against the PMM.

That said, it's my fault for not reading more closely the description in the dealer's accessory book. Although the catalog photo (on a PMM Element) makes it seem that the trim is body color, the text clearly says that the trim is silver. My bad.

My wife says that it won't bother me if I don't look at it. So I'm trying not to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Body side mouldings

Sport wing .com has the factory matched side mouldings any color you need and rear spoilers much less than the factory ones and are top quality and perfect paint match excellent service.I have their products on my 09 PPM EX 4WD.I would post pictures but my camera won't talk to my computer.

ol bill

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Because Honda apparently no longer offers traditional body side molding to protect doors from dings (at least not in PMM color), I opted for the rocker panel trim moldings, which also are supposed to provide some protection from thoughtless neighbors in parking lots.

However, the rocker panel trim comes only in a silver color. I didn't realize that until I saw the trim installed on my vehicle. It is in sharp (and, to my eye, not very pleasing) contrast to the nice PMM body color.

The theory is that the silver color matches the trim around the front grille and on the back hatch. But I sure wish it matched the PMM body color. It would also be better if it were black like the rocker panels. The idea, for me, is to provide protection without being visually obvious -- but the silver color really makes it stand out against the PMM.

That said, it's my fault for not reading more closely the description in the dealer's accessory book. Although the catalog photo (on a PMM Element) makes it seem that the trim is body color, the text clearly says that the trim is silver. My bad.

My wife says that it won't bother me if I don't look at it. So I'm trying not to.

I just got the rear air deflector and it is painted the same. Luckily I have a nephew that works in a body shop that will get it painted to match my PMM for some beer!!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If u search historical forum threads on the trim,alot of members have had their trims fall off due to the 3m failing.

Personallly i would like it for either of our e's but being that its held with 3m i always passed

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
why not have the dealer install it. if it falls off they will replace.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
why not have the dealer install it. if it falls off they will replace.

Here are the options .....

Drop 260, install it, get the 12month/12,000 warranty and it goes flying off and i have to go through the hassle.... hoping that i get it back.

Drop 340 at dealer + install putting the cost to over 400 get the 12month/12,000 warranty and it goes flying off and i have to go through the hassle.... hoping that i get it back

OR just don't get them lol

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
well that is the 3 options. and i understand where your coming from about the 3M double sided tape. it does tend to loosen up and stuff fall off. however.....

its mostly due to faulty installation. wax wasnt removed totally etc etc.

when i use a stick on item. emblem,body kit,trim etc i will claybar the area,use a good wax remover.and alc prep pads.

ive found the hard way that prep work is the most important part of any project.

if the prep work is bad even the best product cant save it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Doesn't look that bad

The silver Rocker Panel Trim doesn't look all that bad on that picture. When I got my Element, that was one of the first things I was looking to get to protect the side of my car. But alas, they said they were discontinued. And now, 48 days after purchase, my new element has a door ding from from some careless person's door... I would rather have that silver rocker panel trim on my PMM Element, than the dent that it has now

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Just got mine from a honda dealer on Long Island,he told me it was the last one in the country YEAH right !
Actually, Im surprised you found a set at a dealer, they have been discontinued
for a while. Its a really good find!!!

Plastic-dip matte black ........OO-LA LA..!!!
Make sure you post pics of them once they are installed!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rocker panels

Here is the rocker panel trim,and new side steps installed in the past few weeks, I think it looks GREAT....I'm trying to kinda stealth it. When i bought the "E" in October'10,they had this one on the lot. Had I known that the '11 was the last year I would have waited...it was the only color on their lot.But by far the best extra I've done.....the two sunroof's.I'm working on the SC console as my next project, and already have a GREAT idea for the spring.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts