Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GREETINGS!
I am on my way to go look at a 2010 LX with 170,000 miles. Upstate NY. The seller (dealer) was upfront with me and told me it’s an auction car and when I asked about rust said they cut out and replaced about 18 inches of rust on both side rocker panels underneath the plastic. Does anybody know if this is an acceptable repair; are they structural? Does this sound like something to avoid? I’ve been looking forever. The vehicle checks out otherwise, at least over the phone. Price is 7000 with new pads rotors two new tires and 30 day warranty. I cannot find any information about this; I know on some cars pieces can be safely patched in, and others it’s a structural member. Please help! Thanks in advance. CT

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,023 Posts
Run Forest RUN!!

Reactions: AWD

·
Registered
2007 LX MT/FWD
55 Posts
Hello,
I'd have to agree with the above post.
The visible rocker rust repaired(by the flipper) was only the tip of the iceberg....It's called a unibody of a reason.

·
Registered
568 Posts
GREETINGS!
I am on my way to go look at a 2010 LX with 170,000 miles. Upstate NY. The seller (dealer) was upfront with me and told me it’s an auction car and when I asked about rust said they cut out and replaced about 18 inches of rust on both side rocker panels underneath the plastic. Does anybody know if this is an acceptable repair; are they structural? Does this sound like something to avoid? I’ve been looking forever. The vehicle checks out otherwise, at least over the phone. Price is 7000 with new pads rotors two new tires and 30 day warranty. I cannot find any information about this; I know on some cars pieces can be safely patched in, and others it’s a structural member. Please help! Thanks in advance. CT
I would pass on that one and this is why. The rocker panels are structural as part of the what amount to a front to rear tube below the doors. This is to stiffen the body due to the lack of B-pillar. That would be at the rear of the front door on a typical vehicle.

The other reason is you can not know who repaired it and how. A proper repair would involve cutting out all of the rusted metal, then fabricating replacement panels which must be treated to prevent rust and then welded in place. For all you know they could have stuffed the hollow part with newspaper and covered it with screen wire and body filler.

An auction car at a used car lot is going to be repaired as cheaply as possible, otherwise they will incur a big loss on the sale. Do not let them put their monkey on your back. Keep looking.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!); 2008 LX FWD AT
1,717 Posts
There are two many good ones still out there to bother messing with this one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am getting ready to sell my 06 5spd Awd , 64 k miles . Second owner car in next month . Going another route , Clean Fl car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
GREETINGS!
I have an 03 EX WITH 40,000 original miles I’m the second owner. The car needs nothing I’m considering listing it for $15,000.00 replaced tires, all new rotors, pads and calipers, Battery and all four struts because one coil spring broke on the bottom and was flopping around and clacking, the entire exhaust was replaced this spring. BONUS I HAVE THE HONDA TENT MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR ELEMENT NEVER USED TOOK IT OUT IF THE BOX TO SETUP TO SEE HOW IT LOOKS. AWD AUTOMATIC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts