Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Community,

I recently acquired a used 2009 EX from someone who lived in the country. Seems some rodents lived in the vehicle. I can hear grains/seeds rolling around in the space between the roof and the headliner. Sometimes they fall through the lights! Not sure how best to clean it out. I've looked at old threads that have anything to do with the headliner, but don't have a lot of confidence to remove it. Has anyone else had this issue? Any tips/trick for cleaning and prevention of future problems?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I wouldn't take it off either... if you can pry an edge, maybe skip a slim vacuum cleaner attachment in?

·
Super Moderator
157 Posts
I had the same thing.
The roof liner doesn't come out easily unless all the other plastic is out, from the floor to the pillar garnish.
Seems the rodents like to hide behind the roof panels and in the A pillar. I was installing audio and sound deadening, so I removed the floor, side, pillar and roof panels and cleaned out the remnants. Improved the smell drastically.
If you aren't into a full days work, try to vac it out as above.

Reactions: TonyS

·
Registered
2004 Fiji LX Ecamper “Ellie,” 2008 Atomic EX “Otherment,” 2003 Eternal EX Chop Top “Chop_E”
259 Posts
Just be careful. Headliners crease very easily when you pull on them while the trim is still in place and many times the crease becomes permanent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same thing.
The roof liner doesn't come out easily unless all the other plastic is out, from the floor to the pillar garnish.
Seems the rodents like to hide behind the roof panels and in the A pillar. I was installing audio and sound deadening, so I removed the floor, side, pillar and roof panels and cleaned out the remnants. Improved the smell drastically.
If you aren't into a full days work, try to vac it out as above.
Ugh. Thanks. I’m at least as worried about getting the headliner back in without damaging it as I am getting it out - the local shop quoted me $1300 CAD for a new one!
I think I’ll take a stepwise approach and see how well I can get a vacuum attachment in around the edges with the least amount of plastic, pillar, and trim removal before getting more involved. If I do set aside a day to pull everything out… what did you use/how did you go about sound deadening?
If I’m going to take it all apart anyway, would love to hear what others have done to reduce road noise and improve the sound system.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I was thinking the long slim radiator (in the house) attachment.
I almost did a TWSS! 😆

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking the long slim radiator (in the house) attachment.
I almost did a TWSS! 😆
Ha!
Dirty job done as best as possible without taking out the headliner. Seeds and nesting material concentrated over A pillar and windshield on drivers side. Seems there’s a leak in that corner as well… sigh.

·
Super Moderator
157 Posts
I used 2.5 boxes of killmat from amazon. Can't remember the SQ ft of the boxes. Entire floor, all side metal (outer and inner skin) covering holes, all pillars, and roof metal. Be careful you do not interfere with attachment point of plastic.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Taking off all the a,b,c pillars are pretty easy. most just snap on/off. the o'shizzz handles are held on with screws. the head liner is also held in place by the map and dome lights. if there is a bunch of food in there the head liner may collapse. i would start at the front and move to the back to avoid creasing. i also used a drop cloth when i did mine, i found about 2 lbs of dog food in the headliner! here are a few pictures of my mobile mouse house or meals on wheels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts