Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had an interesting morning!

Rolled the Element over avoiding a head-on collision.

With icy roads, the oncoming traffic was moving slowly, but one driver in a van gunned it and fish-tailed straight at me.

I steered to avoid him, but ended up fish-tailing myself. I let up on the brakes and managed to avoid him, and (rather) softly hit a 4' snowbank, which unfortunately rolled me on my side.

Scared the &*#% out of me, but no one was hurt and there was little damage (license plate frame broke).

However: once the tow company righted me, the Element wouldn't start. Everything else appeared normal - the driver said it could be a 'fuel pump inertia shut off switch' that needs to be reset.

I could find nothing in the manual/online about it - anyone have a suggestion?

Happy to be alive,

- bhh

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wow, glad you're ok. Not sure about the fuel pump shutoff, but hopefully someone has an answer.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Very glad you're ok!

Found a couple references to a fuel inertia switch on-line, but nothing definitive - just listed as part of the safety system.

My Toyota 4Runner had a fuel cut-off switch that was accessible from a small flap where the fuel fill line met the actual fuel tank - nothing more than a ball-valve that checked closed when I rolled my rig.

Surely the dealership will know...

Again, sorry for your woes...

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I remember this coming up before (but I can't find the thread) and I think the answer was "no reset switch/button."

Did the motor crank over but not fire up? The "tip over/inertia switch" usually only effects the pump, not the starting system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember this coming up before (but I can't find the thread) and I think the answer was "no reset switch/button."

Did the motor crank over but not fire up? The "tip over/inertia switch" usually only effects the pump, not the starting system.
No cranking whatsoever - no. All gauges and electric come up, but nothing else - no click. Nada.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
No cranking whatsoever - no. All gauges and electric come up, but nothing else - no click. Nada.
Was this immediately after uprighting it? Or did it sit for a little bit?

Was the car in park? Obviously, trying again is a good idea. (I'm sure you thought of it, but it can't hurt to mention)

I wish I had my service book at work. I'll look this up for sure when I get home. It is the type of thing that will likely come up again.

Good luck.

Will

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was this immediately after uprighting it? Or did it sit for a little bit?

Was the car in park? Obviously, trying again is a good idea. (I'm sure you thought of it, but it can't hurt to mention)

I wish I had my service book at work. I'll look this up for sure when I get home. It is the type of thing that will likely come up again.

Good luck.

Will
It was a the scene (after 10 minutes on it's side) - we righted it and I tried it.

No go.

It's been in the driveway for 2 hours now. Hang on...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...yeah, still nothing.

Element in park, foot on brake.

When I key on, the dash comes on (normal battery/seatbelt/etc lights) but the 'brake' warning light comes on and I can hear rapid clicking (click-click click-click) as the brake warning light flashes on and off.

Bear in mind, this is before trying to turn it over.

When I key over to start, nothing. No response or change in lights etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update:

I went to work (in my other car) and came home, tried to start the Element

again - all electrical comes on as usual, but this time there's a faint whine when keyed on (almost like a struggling alternator) but fairly quiet

I tried it again, same sound (but less strong)

I'm assuming my El is not going to be simply 'reset' - and a service tow is in my immediate future :(

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you and your E were in an accident, but I'm glad you're ok, BHH.

I do not know the answer to your question, sorry. I hope you can get her back on the road.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Stupid question but have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so and reconnecting? Maybe let everything "reset" with no power.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Yes....check the fuses. (but I don't know why one whould have blown)

Also double check for other damage. Wires? Something jamed in the engine/pulleys maybe?

The starter is right there....anything jammed in it? Bent? Wires to it buggered?

Another thought....
Does the immobilizer indicator come on and blink? (It should)

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Was the impact to the left front?

There is a do-hicky called a "Transmission Range Switch" on the left front (lower) of the motor.

It is part of the starting system, much like the gear position interlock (so it only starts in park & neutral. You could try starting in neutral too, and/or have a look to see if it looks damaged or the wires/plug may have gotten pulled out.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Other thoughts:

"Starter Cut Relay": Like the fuses, I'm not sure why this would get buggered. It is located in the under dash fuse box. It is a normally open type relay.

I'd think something is more likely to be damaged at the starter itself than this relay, but it can't hurt to mention.

I'm all out of ideas. I can't find any mention of an impact or inertia type switch for the starter, ignition, or fuel systems.

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rollover. Glad you are o.k. Am not familiar with a "fuel pump inertia shut off switch", but this type of safety cut off would certainly send a trouble code to the computer. Click, click click, click, sounds like a relay as ApriliaGuy stated.

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the suggestions - I've got the day off tomorrow and will give them all a look (while I wait to hear from the ins. adjuster)

also

while I was waiting to be 'tipped over', I snapped a few pictures:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
You could try removing the spark plugs and see if the motor turns over freely.

Maybe oil or gas filled the cylinder and the engine is "hydro locked."

If it won't turn over by hand w/o plugs in it, something is jammed up somewhere.

PS
Cool pics!

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I thought about it being Hydro locked also. I did not suggest it because, I can't figure out how the oil would fill a cylinder to that point in such a short time. I thought that if the oil filled one or more of the cylinders that quickly, that it would drain back out over night.

I would use that as a starting point in your tests. Remove the plugs, Try starting. If it does not turn over then start looking at the other things.

Dom

1 - 20 of 58 Posts