Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I suspect that basket has smaller diameter tubes than Yakima cross bars. Thule cross bars are square.

How about cutting a piece of hardware store clear plastic, and attach it to the front edge of the basket with zip ties?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Go to home Depot and buy a piece of plexiglass, drill 6 holes and take zipties and hook it on, That basket is a great price at $139.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
That same website is selling $40 fairing for that basket

Yakima baskets (loadwarrior) come with their own fairing. The one Yakima sells separately is designed to mount on the cross bars, not their basket. The mounting system is totally different.

I believe the LW fairing mounts on the bottom bar of the basket, and can be flipped down if you want to place lone items in the basket.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Element fairing question

Hello,

NOOB here. I do vaguely remembering time spent with a smoke chamber to study some fluid dynamic issue of an aircraft wing...lift, that was the issue.

Spoilers produce the reverse of lift and a fairing (correct me if I'm wrong) reduces the coefficient of drag.

Is it possible that a scale model of an E (aerodynamics of a brick, slab of concrete etc.) could wind up in a smoke chamber to determine a feasible fairing for my exceedingly selfish purpose of getting better MPG, for the sole purpose of saving money?

(I can feel the looks of distain, nay, sheer horror.)

I know, not a particularly altruistic idea, but, hey(!) others might feel the same way. An obvious OEM extra, so maybe it is a stupid idea.

Just tossing out an idea. Maybe a ME student is looking for a project,

'Go Green Reducing the drag of an Automotive Brick '

Oh catchy title, don't you think?

And with the money you save? More mods, but of course!

Any thoughts? Threads I have missed? Other websites to set me straight?

Or, Just Do It (TM) and slap a piece of plexiglass, any thickness, any shape, at any random angle anywhere on the roof and , presto, it works?

If it's that easy, all that education for nothing. And I forefit all that time, and beer?

Say it ain't so!

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Spoilers produce the reverse of lift and a fairing (correct me if I'm wrong) reduces the coefficient of drag.

I don't know about the above.., but it cuts out the woop woop woop noise when you drive.
:lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts