Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey every one i recently added a yakima basketcase and 2 bike racks on my E.

I though it would look cool to have some lights up there to so here you go. I think it looks pretty good. would only be used on roads where there are like no people.

here are some pics:

if you have any questions let me know.

thanks for looking Garrett

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Is that PVC Pipe ?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah lol it is. very DIY

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
81 Posts
Very cool. I've been wondering how to get the required electrical up to the roof. Where did you penetrate the roof and how did you seal it? Did you install its own switch in the console?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Very cool. I've been wondering how to get the required electrical up to the roof. Where did you penetrate the roof and how did you seal it? Did you install its own switch in the console?
wires are run from the engine bay up under the windshield cladding and under the roof cladding to come out under the oem rack mounting point. didn't have to penetrate any part of the roof.

wired to a switch on the left side of the steering wheel.

heres a pic with all my lights on.

·
Registered
836 Posts
pull her into a garage and kill the lights for a night shot, otherwise wait until night and get a night shot, i really like how this looks and want to get some sort of lighting when i get my rack.

How much did it all cost/whered you get the parts?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
pull her into a garage and kill the lights for a night shot, otherwise wait until night and get a night shot, i really like how this looks and want to get some sort of lighting when i get my rack.

How much did it all cost/whered you get the parts?
I will try and get one tonight I don't have a garage and it is parked in a lite parking lot. built it all in my dorm room.

led modules off eBay -$50
PVC pipe 4 feet (cause I messed up the first try)2 feet for actual build- $5
2 PVC endcaps -$4
wire - already had
krylon fusion - $5
soldering iron- already had
heat shrink - $5 ( harbor frieght best deal)
towing lights only used the magnet part -$10. harbor fright on sale
epoxy - already had

around $80 total

and if you buy the towing light they come with a wiring harness which is more the enough wire to do all of the wiring and even comes with quick connects.

that's it

·
Registered
836 Posts
you know this added with the trailer hitch would be a great way to light your campsite/fishing area!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you know this added with the trailer hitch would be a great way to light your campsite/fishing area!
Good thing it is movable and can be put on the back of the e as well with a small extension wire. :grin:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here are some night shots taken with my phone so kind of suck. and school is light pretty much everywhere so this is the best i could do for now.

HIDS projectors with fogs

HIDS projectors with Fogs and Roof lights

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Very cool !

·
Registered
836 Posts
those night shots showed me what i wanted to know. I'm going to work on building this during my school break, it looks perfect for lighting up the campsite/fishing hole.

any idea how i would wire it into the trailer hitch to always have lights without having my headlights on.

ALso you said it was moveable, how would you quickly detach it from the roof and move it while still giving it power? would you have a wire running off the roof?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
those night shots showed me what i wanted to know. I'm going to work on building this during my school break, it looks perfect for lighting up the campsite/fishing hole.

any idea how i would wire it into the trailer hitch to always have lights without having my headlights on.

ALso you said it was moveable, how would you quickly detach it from the roof and move it while still giving it power? would you have a wire running off the roof?
i dont have to have my headlights on when these are on, as seen in the first night shot they can be turned on independently from every other light.
you would need to have a cable running off the roof but they are held on with magnets. i used the magnets from the tow light setup from harbor freight thats where it looks like it is connected to the roof.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I love the PVC Pipe setup...nicely done.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I want to build this but i want to have it on my rod holder rig that hooks into my trailer hitch. I want to power it off of my trailer wiring while its back there but i dont want the other lights of the car on.

I guess what im asking is, is there a way to make the trailer hitch wiring harness always have electricity or do i need to turn on running lights like i would for an actual trailer.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I am guessing it would be better for you to run wires and have an independent switch on em there fantastic. I wouldnt fiddle with the brake lighting system, thats just asking for trouble IMO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts