Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to secure a small 45lb generator, gas can, and an 80 lb pelican case to the top of my 2009 E. I do not know the roof load capacity and would like an enclosure that can be locked to protect from wind/rain and be secure. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Factory rack states 75#'s. After market is more. You still have to add a basket. How do you plan on getting these items on the top?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can safely lift these items to the rails/basket/ enclosure. The factory rail are rated at 75 lbs. Max. Others, like Thule are rated at 150lbs max. Although rated at 150 my concern is the actual rating for the body connecting points. there seems to be discrepancies btw. Actual rated max lbs vs. Actual roof load. Basically, I will be able to install an aftermarket rack +bascket/enclosure that is rated @ 150lbs max but is the roof made to support this weight? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
The roof itself is strong enough. Various reports indicate that the Element fares well in a rollover.

We've talked about the roof load limits in the past (distant?). I suspect Honda is more concerned with the effect of the roof load on roll over potential, though the relatively thin cross section of the aerodynamic Honda cross bars may have something to do with the 75lb limit as well. So with other racks you could go beyond that, but I'd be hesitant to go all the way to 150+.

The brackets are spot welded to the roof. The simple weight of the rack and contents shouldn't be a problem. But on the road, it becomes a dynamic load, and conceivably could break one or more of these welds.

From weather tightness and security, a box, such as by Yakima or Thule, in the $3-400 range should be the best. But I wonder whether a box is the best way of carrying several large, heavy, items. I'd worry about potential movement of the generator and case within the box. I don't know if the more expensive ones have a way of strapping heavy items in place.

A basket, such as Loadwarrior, allows you to strap items like this down, so they don't move. In fact for carrying a spare tire, Yakima sells a bracket that solidly locks the spare in place (not just straps or chain). With locks and cables a basket can be relatively secure, though the contents are not out of sight. And they are exposed to the weather.

·
Registered
200 Posts
fuel on the roof

Look at load platforms for the hitch, why put fuel above your head? There are platforms out there that are very stable and even fold up when empty. Have a look at Softride.com it aint cheap, but all of their stuff is world class. Add led turn and brake signals, buy a LED mud flap kit from plasma glow easy to add to the platforms. All softride hitch mounts have a non rattle fit. works with a bolt and threaded section, very strong. My rack would support what you want to do, however...
I just don't like fuel over your head, ever!

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,930 Posts
I agree with lizzurd. Almost any after market rack could carry the total 125# load, but why would you want to lift an 80# case up to the roof? If you have your heart set on roof transport, consider using longitudinal bars added to the transverse rack bars; they make side loading easier. (That's why my custom base rack rails are longitudinal. See profile pics)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Look at load platforms for the hitch, why put fuel above your head? There are platforms out there that are very stable and even fold up when empty. Have a look at Softride.com it aint cheap, but all of their stuff is world class. Add led turn and brake signals, buy a LED mud flaps kit from plasma glow easy to add to the platforms. All softride hitch mounts have a non rattle fit. works with a bolt and threaded section, very strong. My rack would support what you want to do, however...
I just don't like fuel over your head, ever!
My own worked quite well. It was probably an out-of-specs usage but nothing fell down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts