Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi EOC forum,

I was hoping to build a DIY roof rack out of some Aluminum square tubing stock, however I heard that the stock roof is not exactly flat and has a slight curve to it (front to back)?

I was hoping to use the stock 3 hole rack mounts as a base, however how would one check the flatness of the rack mounts (between front to back)?

Thank you.

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
615 Posts
Good picture above since I started to write but here are my thoughts.

Yes, there is a significant 'tilt' front to back on the mount points and it is very important to match it so you do not break the mount welds or the mount metal itself.

I'm sorry I can't give an angle as when I prototyped SSD rails for the Element I started with a pair of SSD rails from a 2015 Soul and basically milled angular shims out of PDE to match the mountpoints. Mike at SSD then incorporated that into a set of prototype bars. I watched and measured as I slowly tightened the mount screws using those bars and tolerances there were close enough for the final bars.

If I were starting from scratch I'd make a jig with mount feet that could rotate, bolt them down, and then fix the rotation and use that to measure and weld up the platform and feet. FWIW, the match between the two sides of the car was excellent.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
View attachment 212579

Here is a pic from when I made my roof rack to show how much the angle is off. The top steel tube is sitting on the front and back mounts.
Good picture above since I started to write but here are my thoughts.

Yes, there is a significant 'tilt' front to back on the mount points and it is very important to match it so you do not break the mount welds or the mount metal itself.

I'm sorry I can't give an angle as when I prototyped SSD rails for the Element I started with a pair of SSD rails from a 2015 Soul and basically milled angular shims out of PDE to match the mountpoints. Mike at SSD then incorporated that into a set of prototype bars. I watched and measured as I slowly tightened the mount screws using those bars and tolerances there were close enough for the final bars.

If I were starting from scratch I'd make a jig with mount feet that could rotate, bolt them down, and then fix the rotation and use that to measure and weld up the platform and feet. FWIW, the match between the two sides of the car was excellent.
Thanks for the pictures and info. Looks like the "gap" created from the tilt is only a few mm of space (between the top bar & rack mount)? Would one be able to use some washers or spacers to fill in that space?

My application was to hopefully mount a 100W rigid solar panel across both sets of rack bars, attached to a tilt mount bracket (pictured below). It seems like the tilt bracket bars are able to bend a little, so it looks like the rack bars don't need to be perfectly "flat" in order to bolt the tilt bracket to.
Triangle Bicycle part Slope Font Automotive exterior

1 - 4 of 4 Posts