Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have the Accessorie bug. Everytime I get one, I want another. I love the look of the roof rack, however I can't imagine Myself ever using it. Everything i will ever need to buy will fit nicely inside. Is it riduculous for me to consider getting it because i think it looks good???????

·
Registered
141 Posts
One thing the roof rack is good for is a place to mount a basket up there. There was a pic on here I think where someone had mounted a Thule Playpen up there that really looked good. That would be something I'd look into.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I, of course, will be installing my roof rack for completely practical purposes.

At least, that's what I'm telling people. :wink:

I've never needed one on any of my previous vehicles, and there's more room inside my E than in any of those, but I'm sure that once I get one, I'll find some compelling reason why I needed it.

If not, looking cool is practical too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm afraid I'll have to cast a vote in the opposite direction. As I look out at the parking lot I see a veritable forest of roof racks, some even on pick-up truck cabs!, all empty. There are short ones, tall ones, fat ones, tubular ones, streamlined ones, etc. etc. ad nauseum and I can't understand the attraction. Very few ever get used and I have heard many complaints of wind noise traced to roof racks. Now, I understand that a skier, surfer, snowboarder, etc. could really make use of them (and have actually seen them used!) but the looks thing drops me in my tracks.

Don't get mad, I'm not knocking your personal choices, JMHO FWIW. :wink:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use it almost every weekend. Thats just me. I find it very helpful to haul lumber and other large things. Ive strapped shovels and other large muddy tools up there. Its been great! no wind noise, no problem. very happy. Should be great for giant luggage carrier for vacation! The Wind resistance alone should bring the gas millage right down. Cant wait! Im thinking of painting orange flames onto my old luggage carrier, rather than buying a smaller expensive black streamlined thingy!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I like that chrome comment. I say chrome all the way! Save your money and buy rims instead. :wink:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use mine very infrequently, but when I need it, I'm so glad I have it! I like having the security of knowing that I can haul just about anything I need, anytime. (BTW, I've got the Thule tracker system, and I usually keep the racks off and snap them on when I need them to save on gas mileage... of course, the Element looks kind of funny with the little nubs on the roof!)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was VERY, VERY disappointed to learn that the factory roof rack for the E is only rated at 75lbs. For most roof rack uses this might not seem like a terrible restriction, but for canoeists, and other paddlers, this just really isn't enough. Also, the racks are so close together that they really don't support any kind of long load such as a canoe or lumber without additional support.

As I understand it, roof racks are weight rated based more on mfr. concerns about tipover, and handling changes rather than based on what the racks themselves can actually support. This makes sense, but it also raises additional concerns about adding much more height and weight to the boxy Element profile.

So yeah, basically, I'd say that if you get the factory roof rack, it's primarily a cosmetic feature, not a practical one.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I agree with the Christmas Tree Argument (unless you are Jewish)....last Christmas before I was the proud owner of my baby E....my husband and I went with our best friends (another couple) to chop down our Christmas Trees....we took her Explorer and she said and I quote "I finally have a use for my roof rack!".....she has owned her Explorer for 7 years and had never used the roof rack until we decided that it would be oh so Norman Rockwell to go cut down Christmas Trees.....needless to say this year we will be taking the E! I am getting a roof rack for just this reason....it will be my 28th Birthday Present....and we are planning on installing it ourselves!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts