Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I'm looking to add roof rack (for kayak) and was wondering why alot of members are going with Thule and Yakima rather then OEM.
I see OEM are now on sale for $205 from H & A. Any reason not to purchase OEM?

Appreciate the input,
Bob

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I'm in the same situation and I'm 93-1/5% sure I'm going with Yakima. The oem rack does not have as much weight carrying capacity and is not nearly as versatile as the aftermarket racks. Yakima's mount system looks more "factory" when the bars are off the vehicle and I plan to use Rockymounts bike holders due to my experience with them. Plus I like the load warrior when I don't need the bike racks on there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
versatility

few reasons. I chose to go with a Thule rack with rapid release foot pads. I carry either two kayaks, one canoe, one canoe and one kayak, or even roof boxes or ladders.
I have two sets of cross bars that I can switch in seconds depending on the need for the day.
Rapid release bars are also helpful in winter so I can have the bars off and out of the way for easy snow removal.
The factory rack is not wide enough in my opinion. The weight limit is also a bit weak. My two Kayaks are over 100lbs combined. The Honda rack calls for no more than 75 lbs evenly distributed.

You'll find yourself much happier with a Thule or Yakima system.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I went oem because although i had most of parts to go thule, i rarely carry over 100lbs in a thule ascent 1600 or with bikes and wanted the oem look and lack of noise for once. I did have a thule fairing and while nice it is still a bit intrusive. I may change my mind later but am happy to have the oem for now.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
The best thing about Thule or Yakima racks? Both have the ability to be easily removed and come with covers for the mounts. This is also why you should get locks for whatever system you install.:grin:

·
Registered
23 Posts
It all really depends what you're going to do with it. If you're lugging a canoe, go with Yakima or Thule. If you're just hauling bikes, snowboards or a cargo box, get the cheapest one. The factory rack is very clean and simple -- no fairing required. The other two sit pretty high off the roof. I went with a Thule because a bike shop near me went out of business and I got the whole thing for $175, but Yakima looks much better. With a fairing, however, the Thule looks fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mounting question

Thanks to all for good advice. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Question: Do the Yakima and Thule racks mount into Element roof mounts? I saw on another thread where drilling was required for non OEM.
Thanks again,
Bob

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rack

Sideshow, I put the Thule 430 on my'04 with no drilling. I carry a canoe, and feel better with the weight load capability.
As mentioned before though, get the locks.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts