Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any owners out there can tell me the pro's and con's of a roof rack?

Any wind noise on the highway?

Will the roof rack diminish your avg MPG?

Does it look good up there < for cosmetic reasons >

Thank you, :lol:

·
Registered
92 Posts
No noticable wind noise

Don't think it will affect MPG

I think it looks great cosmetically

It was easy to install and I got it on E-bay for $170. I plan on getting a bike rack so it is required. It also makes a nice handle if you want to play tank commander with the sunroof off ;-)

Regards,
SOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think mine adds a nice touch and it has been used many times hauling stuff from Home Depot. Get the Honda version as after market ones dont have a cover up for the mounting bracket area and I thought that part exposed looked fugly.Though Im worried about the luggage carrier I have-its old and just a giant plastic box. I think it might just be to much of a airflow blocker, might knock over the E in low winds. Im torn as I dont want to spend 400 on a sleek new one!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys,

Sons of Liberty you got a great deal. The best price i have seen was $200 including free shipping!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine's quiet, no noticeable mpg loss, carries stuff nicely. Just wish some of the accessories from my Subaru rack would fit. Thinking of seeing if there's a way to get the adapters.

·
Registered
912 Posts
use the search for 'rack noise' and you'll find several threads on how to solve. Something about one of the bars being mounted backwards...

jesse

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:d2cf8f896c=" "]warning: i believe if you have roof rack installed you have to perform regularly scheduled service twice as often.[/quote:d2cf8f896c]

Actually, to clarify: if you drive with a *loaded* roof rack, loaded trailer hitch, etc., that can qualify you for the "severe service" maintenance schedule, which is generally service twice as often.

I don't think attaching an empty roof-rack has much of an impact. :)

-brendan

·
Registered
68 Posts
[quote:689b44f5f0=" "]I installed the factory bike rack and I whistles bad HELP IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY[/quote:689b44f5f0]

first, check your front rack and make sure it is installed correctly (thick side facing forward).

also, consider removing bike attachment. put it on only when you are actually hauling bike around.

if it is too much a hassle, a fairing will work great. then we are back to the debate between factory roof racks vs. Thule/Yakima racks since there is no fairing option available for the factory roof racks, at least not yet.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Getting rid of a whistle does not need a large fairing or change. For example on my homemade bars, adding a 2 x 36 inch piece of aluminium to the front bar was enough. For that matter, a couple of layers of pipe insulation did the trick. Whistling can come from a small gap or opening. Alter the air flow a bit, and it goes away.

paulj

·
Registered
447 Posts
Does it make it easier or harder to wash the roof?

I never thought I'd be washing one of my cars using a ladder! :shock:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
[quote:a258e630c2=" "]... adding the roof rack also makes your "E" just that much easier to spot in a crowded parking lot...[/quote:a258e630c2]

Wow, you must live in an Element Intensive Area! Being able to spot my Element EASILY in the parking lot, since it usually the only Element there, is one of the fun things about it right now. But then I live in the Seattle area where they seem to be catching on fairly slowly, because everyone is into their Status SUVs, and won't stoop to buying a CHEAP box on wheels.

Regarding a ladder to wash a vehicle..... Heck most of the vehicles I have owned require a small step ladder to wash the top. I didn't even consider that is a "special thing". Oddly though, my Element is my tallest vehicle to date, including a 4WD pickup and it does just barely fit into my garage door.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yes the bike racks will whistle. I had to remove mine. It was a good thing because I saw there was no rubber strip and had to go back to the dealer to get it. You cannot haul a canoe without those.
Yes its easy to spot my E down here too. Its either the only one or if another one comes along it will park close. So I dont have to wander too far to find it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts