Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was board tonight and decided I needed to make a sign to place inside my Honda Element when I have my bike on the roof. My wife has a cricut machine than cuts vinyl decals so this is what I made..

The Element has a overhead compartment that I keep my garage door opener in so this will block my access to the opener until I move the sign.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
clever idea, I like it. That could wind up saving you a few thousand bucks.:oops:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Nice work, you could sell those!
I could use one with a picture of a kayak on it. I destroyed one $3,000 bike and I don't put them on the roof anymore but there is no where else to stick a couple 3.5 meter boats.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would question the need for this, except that I got stuck in a parking garage once when I forgot I had the J-bars installed on the roof rack. Fortunately I was able to remove them before I did any damage, but not without being noticed half the students on campus. Major embarrassment.

Great idea, I'm be a candidate for one.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Very nicely done, cooper58!

Some may scoff at how important an item like this can be. I used to be among them until I watched my then-wife drive into our garage with three bikes on a Thule roof rack, which peeled/sprung off in one giant mass. Thankfully, this was back in the days when cars had rain gutters, and none of the bikes showed a single mark! Even the rain gutters on the car weren't marred. However, the aluminum crossbars were rather bent, and I seem to recall one of the feet needed to be replaced.

Mind you, I chalked this up to the rather large collection of flaws that woman possessed, until I did nearly the same thing a few years later. Again though, still back in the rain gutter days, so I had the same relatively harm-free result. Except for my ego, of course! There always has to be at least one witness to such an absurd stunt, right? :oops:

After those two strikes, however, I went with a rear hitch-mounted rack on subsequent vehicles. Now, I can put the bikes inside the Element, and have none of those worries. But for those who "live dangerously," yours is a very elegant solution. Kudos.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Another option, if you decide to sell them. Is to make face covers for garage door openers (I only mention, because I saw the bend you put on the plastic).
Make 'em and market 'em, get rich so I can say "I saw the first one ever made, that was the start of his empire... All because of some bikes an E."
Either way, good luck and great idea.

·
Registered
296 Posts
+1 great idea. I made a sign for nearly the same spot showing clearance heights with various items on the roof. But it's not nearly as pretty!

You put a chair on your roof?

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
You put a chair on your roof?
Yes, I normally carry two (nesting) plastic Adirondack chairs on the roof for EOC campouts. Sling chairs hurt my back.

Here it is with top box and chairs. (The chairs obscure the spare tire.)

For the record, the normal height of an Element is 70"; add another 6" or 8" for a roof rack. My "standard" is 81" because of the full-size spare tire on my roof rack.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I remember back in the 90's someone made a reminder gadget/sign that mounted on the front of your hood. Basically it was a sign that reminded you of the roof rack on your car when driving slow. However at a certain speed the wind resistance would push it flush against the hood. I never actually owned one but I used to email the link my knucklehead friends after they trashed a bike by driving into the garage.

I tried google, but could not find anything aside from this http://www.roofrackreminder.com/index.php. However it seems like something I could make myself in about 5 minutes with a piece of plastic and some string.

I do like the original poster's idea of blocking access to the opener. That is the type of idiot resistant method that would work for me. A full time sign/reminder would just become something I would tune out after a few days.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I remember the wind deflector type gadget that said "bikes on top" or something like that with arrows pointing up. A friend saw it and basically made a similar type thing for his dash that hung from the visor so he'd see it when he reached for the remote. Still like you said, he got used to it and after a being tired from a long mtb ride and a few post-ride beverages, cleared everything off his roof. :lol: Luckily he only had to replace the fork legs on his bike not the entire bike.

Back when we had a car I used to roof rack my bikes on the wife's wagon for road trips. Knowing the way I'd be on autopilot after a long drive I just put my recycle bin near the garage door so I couldn't drive in without moving it first. If somebody else has already opened the garage door there's a hole in the remote sign plan. I know a guy who's wife got to watch him destroy several thousand in bikes as she greeted him while she finished washing her car. Physical barriers vs. mental reminders ALWAYS solve the issue for me.

I was going to get a friend in the sign/banner business to make a banner like a big stop sign that I could hook to the bottom edge of the garage door so it would hang down when the door opened. We don't have a car & we don't use a roof rack on my E or the van so I never got around to trying it.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I like it!

It's sure a heckava lot more polite than "Idiot in drivers seat".

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like it!

It's sure a heckava lot more polite than "Idiot in drivers seat".
Speaking for myslef... it should be "Idiot in drivers seat" cause it may work for me with my garage door at home, but watch, I'll drive into a public parking garage and still forget all about it. :lol:

But then again, when it comes to people like myself... This is why there's warnings written on plastic bags.

·
Registered
847 Posts
And don't forget about fast food/starbuck's drive thru's. I've seen more than one awning takin' out by a bike. :oops: That's pretty much why I never used the rack on anything but my wife's wagon and I was always paranoid about awnings/parking garages.

·
Registered
132 Posts
good idea.

my wife quickly learned our element can't fit in the parking garage at the hospital with our load warrior basket on!

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Did the cricket cutter cut the Honda Element and bike out too ???

·
Registered
84 Posts
In addition to the sign, it is a good idea to put something in your parking spot to stop you from pulling into the garage. I usually put one of the garbage cans in the spot, I even "sharpied" an upward arrow on the can just to be safe. :lol:

Drive tru's are bad, but most of the folks I know hit their own garage roofs. I know after a long day riding or racing, my brain isn't usually firing on all cylinders. The garbage can has saved my bike several times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts