Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you to the member who had a sticker in his back window showing this website. I had no idea you existed and have enjoyed reading your forums. I own a 2005 Element that I've owned for three years or so and a 2006 that I just bought. Love the cars and have converted my husband as well.

We traded the family minivan for the second Element and have found travelling in it with our two youngest sons a bit tight. A roof rack that would hold our Samsonite soft carrier would solve the problem for us.

I've read the roof rack threads here until I'm totally confused. Thought that Thule was the solution, but after visiting their dealer, am not so sure. DH would REALLY like two side rails that would bolt into the existing structure and two cross bars.

The only similar version I've found required drilling holes into the roof. Any suggestions or convincing reasons why the two standand Honda crossbars would be sufficient to hold our cargo bag with suitcases?

If the Honda OEM is the best solution (and I can convince my husband) any suggestions on best place to purchase. I saw them on eBay for somewhat less than Honda has them. DH wants to start calling junk yards looking for a wrecked Element with a rack, but I think that effort is probably doomed to fail.

Thanks for your help.

Sheila

·
Registered
71 Posts
How much weight do you want to carry? Honda's rack is limited to 75lbs. There is no need to drill any holes into your Element's roof, as the holes you need are already there. The Thule is a nice rack and has a weight limit of 150lbs. Have you seen the rack that TPS Lizard a forum member here custom builds? Check it out at;
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=512514&postcount=29

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much weight do you want to carry? Honda's rack is limited to 75lbs. There is no need to drill any holes into your Element's roof, as the holes you need are already there. The Thule is a nice rack and has a weight limit of 150lbs. Have you seen the rack that TPS Lizard a forum member here custom builds? Check it out at;
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=512514&postcount=29
75 pounds would probably be sufficient, though I gather Honda is pretty conservative with this number. We just need to get something out of the interior so we have room to carry a full size cooler. If we put it between the seats, it cuts into the bigger kid's legroom (he's nearly 6').

I probably wasn't very clear with my post. The only rack I found online with both side and cross beams required holes. We looked at the Thule today, but they have nothing with the side beams.

Thats for the link to TPS Lizard's rack. That might be a good solution for us.

Sheila

1 - 5 of 5 Posts