Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, a stand up paddle friend of mine bought an element and he is having a problem. The roof rAcks are supposively to thin, can't hold the board? Anyone who has a SUP and and E on the roof I would love to see some pictures. I have 9'6 by 30 inches wide board. Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is there a SUP forum? That might be a good resource to find out methods of transport from other owners.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Any rack you put on should hold just fine. I doubt the SUP weighs more then a canoe or some of the loads people put on the basket racks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is your friend using the factory rack or an aftermarket rack? Factory racks are notorious for being cheap and flimsy. I would recommend getting a good quality aftermarket rack from Thule or Yakima.

I have a Thule rack with 58" bars on my E and have never had any issues including when I carried eight boards on the roof (1 SUP, 3 Surf, 4 Windsurf) on a trip to Hatteras. The Thule rack did fine, with the only issues being that it can generate a little bit of wind noise and clunks around occasionally. But it can easily be removed in about 30 seconds if that bothers you.

sm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have been more specific, I meant it's not wide enough not its durability. But if you put a SUP on yours I feel great. What is the make and model of yours? Any pics?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine is a Thule. Its the style with the rectangular bars (not the Aero bars).

I believe the Element calls for 50" long bars, but any length bars over that length will fit and I believe Thule makes bars up to 65" long. I went with 58" wide and it is plenty of width for just about anything I would ever need to put up there without sticking out from the side of the car (head knocker).

The towers work nicely as well- a simple push button and you can pop the rack off the roof.

sm

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any pics, but we definitely did stack that many boards up there for the OBX trip and it worked fine. Normally I just carry one or two boards up there or put them inside the car (not the SUP).

sm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts