Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my VW westy sitting in my driveway getting absolutely no use since I purchased my Eeee. I was thinking about how I loved the pop top. Then I thought the Eeee would be the most amazing vehicle if it could have a pop top. So all you aftermarket Manufacturer's out there here is a million dollar ideal for you.
Make a pop top option for the Eeee. Please please please :D
It doesn't have to be huge just big enough to fit two sleepers. In a new aerodynamic shell that pops up when it's time to snooze.
It could sit on top fastened to the Eee by the anchors that the luggage rails use to connect to the Eee and the sleepers could have access to it through the rear sunroof ( it's pretty big ).
Go for it guys. It's all yours.

Mortaaay
Dreaming of a Pop top Element... Oh yeah.

·
Registered
78 Posts
THATS A GREAT IDEA! I also have a VW Westy (73, orange) sitting in my driveway not getting any miles since buying an E. It really makes me feel kind of guilty because I love driving the VW, and camping in it is the best. BUT, I live in AK so in the winter that thing is pretty horrible(COLLLDD).

I like the idea of climbing up into the sleeping area through the skylight. I have only been camping in the E a couple of times, but the back is a better hangout spot than I thought it would be. I actually had my stove back there and cooked breakfast because it was so windy outside. I should say I did have the hatch and skylight open for air.

Anyway, good idea. I would buy it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
A quick Google search of "rooftop tent" gives quite a few makers of what you are looking for.

I kinda liked this one from www.LoftyShelters.com
I don't see a reason you couldn't cut a hole to make sunroof access.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Boy would hate to roll out of the bed from the E roof.

Honestly I know there is a cool factor of opening the roof entirely like a VW bus but I thought they leak and are loud?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:c3c6248b15=" "]I don't see a reason you couldn't cut a hole to make sunroof access.[/quote:c3c6248b15]

I do: it's sort of hard to sleep with a gaping hole underneath your back...

...with that said, I'm both enamoured as well as perplexed by the car-top tents. hmm...

-brendan

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for the pop top link. Definately going to check into that. 8)

·
Registered
285 Posts
but seems with some ingenuity one could convert one of the big long yakima or thule boxes into a big one man poptop :D

weird. but a fun thinkin about it nonetheless. *G*

best
D.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I got your box right here :roll: . Those roof top tents are a scream. Thanks Brendan. There might be something there.
I've thought about shooting out the moon roof and that's better than nothing but not as good as on top of the car. Is that asking so much. That and a ladder to get up and down. Oh and a good deli sandwich. That's not asking so much.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Camping Element - SEMA style

A Land Rover outfitter, Pangaea-expeditions appearently doesn't think too highly of this roof top load on an Element. Such tents have been mentioned on these forums before, though most of us have had our doubts as well.

http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/galleries/sema2004/

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Re: Camping Element - SEMA style

I'd like the roof-top camper even more if it had a trap-door interface with the AWD's sunroof. :)

-brendan

·
Registered
6,263 Posts

The tent on this Element is probably the Maggiolina Airland distributed in the USA by loftyshelters.com. Empty weight is 117 lb (51" wide 82" long). So what did they use for a roofrack - just a Thule? Loftyshelters claims the tent plus occupants load is 'static' and can exceed the 'dynamic' loadlimits given by Honda and/or Thule.

http://www.loftyshelters.com/MaggAirland.htm

·
Registered
249 Posts

That looks like it could be a neat idea if you want to have a quick camping setup and you need to have a minimum footprint. I've seen the ones that attach to the rear hatch, but then you have to leave the hatch open. The roof top tent would also be cool for camping with the kids. They could sleep up top while mom and dad get the lower bunk... As long as they can't watch through the sun roof.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts

There is an online travel journal of a family that spent several months traveling to Alaska and back, NorthByRover, in a LR Discovery with a roof tent. The parents got the roof tent, while the 2 kids slept inside the Rover. For inside use, they had a shelf that divided the cargo area, and then folded up the rear seats to form a sleeping platform.

Roof tents like this seem to be most popular in Africa, where camping off the ground has its advantages. A number years ago I saw, in the Yukon, a caravan of Italians in little Fiats (Panda?). Each had a tent like this on top.

I'm not convinced that a roof tent is an improvement over sleeping inside the Element with a tailgate enclosure.

paulj

·
Registered
552 Posts

paulj said:
The tent on this Element is probably the Maggiolina Airland distributed in the USA by loftyshelters.com. Empty weight is 117 lb (51" wide 82" long). So what did they use for a roofrack - just a Thule? Loftyshelters claims the tent plus occupants load is 'static' and can exceed the 'dynamic' loadlimits given by Honda and/or Thule.

http://www.loftyshelters.com/MaggAirland.htm

I still don't know if I'd trust sleeping on top of my E :|

·
Registered
3,278 Posts

gilmour25 said:
I still don't know if I'd trust sleeping on top of my E :|
Just make sure to keep *all* the keys with you. You don't want to wake up at speed!

-brendan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Lofty Shelters has E camper on thier web page

I asked and the car at the SEMA show was using a Yakama rack. Rich said Thule was a fine setup too.
I will be buying my E this year (I bought a Maggiolina Extreme tent from Rich a year ago). I currently put my tent on top of a 1976 BMW "2002" and my wife and I love using it. With these tents you make the bed, crank it shut and leave (all bedding stays in it - plus more). When your ready to sleep you crank it open and go to bed. I think the Element/Extreme combo will work great for us.
J

·
Registered
6,263 Posts

As is evident in previous threads various of us have worried about the load rating of the rack with this shelter. Loftyshelters does make the important distinction between a live load and static one, arguing that putting 300 lbs on the rack when parked (shelter plus 2 people) is quite different from carrying that load down the road. It is nice to know that they are taking the initiative to test idea on the Element.

paulj

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

it would be cooler if somehow the tent had a trap door on the bottom... allowing one to crawl from inside the element, out of the rear sunroof and into the tent.

that would rock.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts