Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello E owners,

Our 05 E AWD LX Auto has nearly 87k miles with original rotors on it, and I just changed the 4th set of front brake pads, in addition to the 1st set of rears I did last year. My wife drives it all city miles, in the western suburbs of Cincinnati, which are very hilly. She is heavy-footed on the brakes too.

The E started squealing about 2 weeks ago, and started to grind in the last few days.

The pads weren't all the way worn down, and the guy at auto zone said that it is time to change the rotors.

In my eyes, the rotors appear fine. There are no scorch marks, and it appears intact and shiny.

He said the glaze of shine on the rotors is causing the problem, and he also said that changing the rotors may solve my vibration issue. (Please see my previous post)

Can anyone share their experiences with rotors?

Do they last forever if you change the pads before they hit metal on metal?

Is it worth the time and effort to change?

Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
rotors do need to be replaced occasionally. They wear away, just like pads. I don't know the spec for our car, but there is a minimum thickness spec for rotors at which point they need to be changed.

Me? I change them everytime I change pads. Its cheap, and not that hard to do.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yes, rotors wear out. Not as fast as pads but they do wear out. If you are getting a vibration under breaking and some grinding/squealing sounds it is probably time to replace them. After 4 sets of pads it is probably time.

Not much more to changing them if you can change pads.

Changing them at every pad change is pretty severe. It is still cheaper than taking it to a shop for a break job but just changing pads and resurfacing the rotors if they are grooved is even cheaper.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New brake pads stopped vibration?

Even though there was about 35-40% life left on the pads, they were squealing and starting to grind slightly.

I changed them out, and no more vibrations!

The auto zone guy was convinced that my rotors needed changing, and he said that the old rotors were likely causing the vibrations I mentioned in previous posts about 35-40 mph.

We have a long roadie coming up with the E, so we'll see how it holds up, won't we?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts