Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03' EX. Do the rotors need to be pressed in or is this a job that can be done on the driveway?

From searching this forum I get the impression its a driveway job. I just want to be sure before I drive across town to my 'shadetree mechanic'.... no way am I paying the $950 to $1075 I have been quoted from 3 shops.

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Hi Brian. The rotors do not need to be pressed on but might need a little help getting off as sometimes the screwes stick that hold them on or they might be rusted to the hub. There are 2 holes for M8 bolts to pull the rotor off if needed and don't worry if you have to destroy the holding screwes to remove the rotor as those are there to keep the rotors on during assembly and the wheel will hold the rotors on.

·
Registered
541 Posts
go to sears get an impact screw driver w/#3 phillips head. it should come with it. you need to use a hammer and the impact screwdriver to get those twon screws off. after that its a breeze.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't pound too hard, you'll end up damaging the studs. Is it visibly rusted on or just stuck?
Probably both... I sprayed some lube around the mounting area and letting it soak in now. This is the drivers side, I did that one first because I figured it would be the harder one. I'm hitting it with a good size mallet, not too big but not the smallest one I have, it just doesn't seem like it's going anywhere.

I thought the rears where bad... terrible design. I just did rotors on my father in laws Ranger and it was simple. The Jetta I had was cake.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeek, 100K miles and 6 years is a lot of rust. I'd say try warming it with a torch but for the love of god don't hit the brake lines with it! :shock:

Disclaimer: I'm crazy, ask anybody around here.
Got the caliper hung up and out of the way... I heated it up quite a bit when I was trying to use the impact on the screws but I'll try and focus on hub area. I won't screw up plastics, rubber, grease, or other in the hub?

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just in case someone has the same troubles I had, there are two threaded holes on the rotor that stop at the hub. Take some m8 bolts and thread them in, crank on them with a wrench and pop off it goes... after 2 hours of pounding I finally figured out the easier method.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Just in case someone has the same troubles I had, there are two threaded holes on the rotor that stop at the hub. Take some m8 bolts and thread them in, crank on them with a wrench and pop off it goes... after 2 hours of pounding I finally figured out the easier method.
I hate to say this...
but...
Slimerdogs made this suggestion in post #2 of this thread....

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I never suggested that because I thought you had already tried that...:oops: :lol:

Everything turned out ok in the end?
So far, having 2 kids (1 being under 2) makes it difficult to get anything done. It's off and will need to be cleaned up (quite a bit of rust on the hub) which I'll do tomorrow and put it back together. Funny, it took me a long time to find the right thing to do when it was a page behind me.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
So far, having 2 kids (1 being under 2) makes it difficult to get anything done. It's off and will need to be cleaned up (quite a bit of rust on the hub) which I'll do tomorrow and put it back together. Funny, it took me a long time to find the right thing to do when it was a page behind me.
That's one of the reasons I set my page views on here to hold 40 posts at a time. MUCH easier to find something if you don't have to flip 20 pages to do it!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.