Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All - First time to post something so try to be nice....

I have a 2003 AWD 5MT Element, the starter failed this weekend (on a vacation road trip, of course:x). I replaced the starter (more detail below). After replacing the starter, the idle is rough ( low / high alternating). The OBD threw codes for P0122 (TPS low voltage), P0113 (Intake Air temp low voltage), P2195 (MAP open circuit). All these sensors were disconnected during the starter replacement, but I verified they were all reconnected properly. I took off the positive terminal for 10 min. to try to reset the check engine, and maybe "jog" the ECU, but no dice. Any thoughts? Its driveable, but runs like hell.

More detail on the starter replacement (some clues maybe):

* I removed the intake manifold and throttle body - both gaskets had some tearing at removal, I used RTV (blue sensor safe) to refit the gaskets.
* When the intake manifold was off, I used some brake clean to take off the dust/bits of gasket, not sure if this could damage the MAP (but that wouldn't explain the TPS or IAT codes)
* All vacuum hoses were reconnected, I believe properly
* If I disconnect the MAP sensor, the idle is smooth, but it puts out hellatious exhaust....

Any ideas, I can check each sensor with a multimeter at home, but not on the road - but I don't believe its possible that all three sensors went out simultaneously.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Resolved! Poor connection

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I ended up removing all the wireharness connectors again, cleaned the terminals with a wire brush, and reconnecting them. The second time I did this it worked, I did use the idle teach method described, and with the harnesses connected properly and clean terminals it runs perfect.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Excellent thread - I had the same issue today when I took off my intake manifold/connections etc. when cleaning my starters connections/doing a bench test on my starter.

Once reassembled - I realized that i'd left the small connector undone on the topside of the starter. After trying to get at it from the top left side of the intake manifold I realized it is MUCH easier done from underneath the car.

Upon cranking up the car - I had a CEL due to the plug being undone. Even once it was reinstalled the check engine light was there.

Disconnecting the battery and reinstalling worked for me to clear the code.

Thanks.

P.S. Honda, what a Royal PITA place to put a starter! jeeesh!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vacuum leak from starter replacement?

Hey, i just recently replaced my starter in my 2003 honda element, while taking everything apart i was following the manual on how to take my intake manifold off of my vehicle to reach my starter. I took everything apart EXACTLY how it showed me in the manual, and replaced my starter, i then put everything back exactly how it was supposed to go.
When i cranked my car up to test the starter it started fine, but it kept making a revving noise while i was in park? every few seconds it would rev and the RPM would shoot up to the "1000" marker and go back down.
I only started it for a few seconds to check on my starter.
I'm new to auto-mechanics and i would like some help to know what the problem may be.
I know i was supposed to replace the gasket in the intake manifold, and i plan on doing that in a few days to see if anything changes.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When i replace my intake manifold gasket should i use a High-temp red RTV silicone sealant? or should i not use one at all? I've been looking everywhere and everyone has differing opinions on it. I would just rather my vacuum leak go away. :(

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
When i replace my intake manifold gasket should i use a High-temp red RTV silicone sealant? or should i not use one at all? I've been looking everywhere and everyone has differing opinions on it. I would just rather my vacuum leak go away. :(

Just use a new gasket and forget about using a sealant...It is not required.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts