Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my idle has never been great but it appears to worsen considerably with the A/C on. On a cold start I can actually see the idler pulley moving, then it dissipates to not moving. Now I did have the compressor, alternator, power steering pump, water pump, belt tensioner, and serpentine belt all replaced with OEM parts about 5000 miles ago. Air is blowing cold. Most recently I had the IAC valve replaced and had the throttle body cleaned at the same time. Before I replaced the IAC valve the rpms were jumping all over the place but it remains steady now. However, I did not replace the IVAC with OEM, I bought one at Oreilly's for about $60.

I am very OCD and tend to throw money at problems by simply replacing parts which has cost me thousands of dollars over the years because I almost always go with OEM parts. I am recently married and thought I would show some restraint and first ask you guys for some insight. Unfortunately, the cause of "rough idle" is a rabbit hole of issues. My motor mounts are good, they were replaced with OEM mounts about 50k ago. No leaks that I have seen. No check engine light. The most recent check engine light was for the IVAC valve which went away once replaced with aftermarket part. I just had the high and low pressure checked with the A/C system which turned out to be fine.

So I have been considering replacing the IVAC valve with an OEM one which is $200 in addition to replacing the ignition coils with OEM which is also not cheap. I am at 190k and have never had the coils replaced. What has me miffed is that with the A/C off it idles fine, it's not perfect, but nowhere near as rough. Please chime in y'all.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, valves were adjusted a year ago at the Honda dealership.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine does this too actually. I’m wondering if it has something to do with the injen exhaust! Like it’s normal and we just notice it more or something. My girlfriend’s Subaru (2014 Impreza) does it too, but it is nowhere near as noticeable.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi,
Saw this!

This is normal when the AC is on. The air conditioning compressor requires torque from the belt system on the engine to power it. When the AC is off, the compressor clutch does not activate, meaning the AC is not straining the engine. When the AC is on, the compressor clutch activates, wherein the drive belt on the engine now turns the compressor which in turn is compressing refrigerant so you can be nice and cold.
The Idle Control Actuator is what controls the engine idle. When the AC kicks in, the engine will drop some RPM, and the actuator opens to allow more air into the engine.
When you are at speed, the throttle is open from the accelerator pedal under your foot. the Idle control actuator is not active at this time.
What you describe is normal. If it is a concern, take it in to your dealer. A new Actuator is not a ton of money, probably a couple of hundred bucks installed if you want a new one.

level 2

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
Saw this!

This is normal when the AC is on. The air conditioning compressor requires torque from the belt system on the engine to power it. When the AC is off, the compressor clutch does not activate, meaning the AC is not straining the engine. When the AC is on, the compressor clutch activates, wherein the drive belt on the engine now turns the compressor which in turn is compressing refrigerant so you can be nice and cold.
The Idle Control Actuator is what controls the engine idle. When the AC kicks in, the engine will drop some RPM, and the actuator opens to allow more air into the engine.
When you are at speed, the throttle is open from the accelerator pedal under your foot. the Idle control actuator is not active at this time.
What you describe is normal. If it is a concern, take it in to your dealer. A new Actuator is not a ton of money, probably a couple of hundred bucks installed if you want a new one.

level 2
I appreciate the support. Yeah, I think I have been over reacting. I sent some videos to my tuner and he says everything is working fine. I did end up buying some new Denso coils after all. I figure at 190k it can't hurt, especially since I am doing some performance upgrades and will be changing the spark plugs again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi,
No problem, the only thing an Auto Mechanic has over us is, they deal with this stuff everyday!

We don't, so anything is fair, and all knowledge is good!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So now I am hearing a creaking noise from the dash on left drivers side. I can trigger it some by pressing on the accelerator or turning on the A/C. I am wondering if it is suspension or if it is an engine mount. I am leaning towards the engine mount due to my recent concerns about rough idle. If it is the mounts it will be disappointing as I replaced the mounts 3 yrs ago or 40,000 miles ago. SMH.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi,
Be advised...
The mount on the driver side is not an engine mount but a tranny mount.

You will run into that when you go to order that mount, if needed!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,
Be advised...
The mount on the driver side is not an engine mount but a tranny mount.

You will run into that when you go to order that mount, if needed!
So thankfully due to my changed ways, I let someone diagnose my Element before throwing more parts at it. I had convinced myself by watching YouTube videos it was my front suspension or engine mounts. Turns out my aftermarket intake was loose and causing this weird noise. Of all things! I was also told my drive belt was worn and a little stretched. This is surprising too me because I bought what I thought was the OEM equivalent Bando brand belt a few months ago to replace for preventative maintenance. I don't think it will hurt to go ahead and buy the OEM belt now because I do recall that upon replacement the belts did look different. Come to think of it that is when I starting noticing this "rough idle". Hmmm...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi,
The K24 engine is a fantastic little Beast, but it must be maintained with good parts and regular maintance.

I try to stick with OEM unless there is an as good or better after market at a more reasonable price.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,
The K24 engine is a fantastic little Beast, but it must be maintained with good parts and regular maintenance.

I try to stick with OEM unless there is an as good or better after market at a more reasonable price.
Yeah, my Element is very well maintained. I almost always go with OEM. When you go onto the Honda parts websites they actually state that the belt they offer is Bando. Like a Denso part is Honda. This is what confused me. See below:

However, I am starting to think the Bando belt I bought through amazon is subpar quality despite having the same name.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts