Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all -

With the arrival of our latest daughter, it is finally time to say goodbye to our 2007 Element. :(

It is in great shape other than an encounter with a concrete post in a parking garage. The damage is limited to the plastic fender above the rear right wheel.

I would like to try selling it as-is and just give the appropriate discount to the buyer to have it repaired if they wish (or just save the money). The question is what is a fair amount to discount? I called some body shops and no one wanted to give estimates over the phone so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has a rough idea what it is worth. It's hard to get much free time with multiple little ones :)

Any help is appreciated... thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Howdy all -

With the arrival of our latest daughter, it is finally time to say goodbye to our 2007 Element. :(

It is in great shape other than an encounter with a concrete post in a parking garage. The damage is limited to the plastic fender above the rear right wheel.

I would like to try selling it as-is and just give the appropriate discount to the buyer to have it repaired if they wish (or just save the money). The question is what is a fair amount to discount? I called some body shops and no one wanted to give estimates over the phone so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has a rough idea what it is worth. It's hard to get much free time with multiple little ones :)

Any help is appreciated... thanks in advance!
The fenders don't come painted from Honda. Judging from your picture repairing and repainting the fender would likely be cheaper than having it replaced. After buying a new fender you would still have to have it painted.

A rought guess would be from $300-500 to fix that depending on whether or not the repair shop insists on "blending".

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the reply Lizzurd. Good point also about repainting vs replacing too given that they don't come painted from the factory.

I think I'll knock $500 off the 'usual' asking price and see how it goes...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have you tried buffing out what you can? Some of that won't go away, but you can probably make it look "better" by getting rid of what parts of the scratches are clearcoat only.
Thanks for the suggestion, Blue Devil. No, I haven't really tried much of anything yet. I do have some touch up paint and Langka Scratch Repair that I am planning to try but I'm also wary that touch up can make things worse if not done well.

Regarding buffing - do you have any suggestions on products to use? Is this something I would need a power buffer to do or would ol' fashioned elbow grease do?

Thanks again...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts