Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I said CB antenna so people would know I didn't mean the car radio.
But I really mean an Amateur Radio. My call is W9OL, near Chicago.

I'm thinking of mounting the radio in the bottom of the dash center.
By taking out bottom piece, removing the cubby and placing the radio in that void. It's not a big unit and has a remote control head.
Consequently, I need a route to run the coax, hopefully up the A post area and then to the area approx. above the driver/passengers.

Before I start prying pulling the inside plastic around the A post, I thought I'd ask first. There 'appears' to be a air bag part in the A post area?????

If I could get to the black roof trim where I installed the rack....that would be great.

Always ask before starting, usually someone has already done this and can save a lot of time.
please and thank you. email is ok also [email protected]

feel free to visit my
TOWER/WEBCAMS and Weather Page
@ http://hhweather.webhop.org

·
Registered
296 Posts
First things first... we need you to fill out your info before we can help. What year, model (lx vs. ex), etc...?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Trunk lip mount on the liftgate. Mounted rotated 90 deg from expected; onto the 3 inch edge of the top. Lets it open without smashing antenna into roof.
Coax follows down pillar. I used empty crimp lugs under the existing screws as "clamps" to hold the wire in place.
Make drip loop below lowest edge of bottom of back opening. Cable runs in under the flap panel. Needed to cut a small notch in interior panel.
Now inside the car, route thru side plastic panels. Popped out at center of kick molding running at bottom of door threshold. sneek coax (and power now) under seat, over to console and to radio.

Sorry, never took any pictures, but that worked on my 05. Need to do it again on my 09

Andy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
amateur radio antenna cable routing

Duh sorry, I knew you guys were all brilliant and would just know I was talking about a brand new 09 LX, that I installed a SC console into.

But I kept the LX bottom/dash wraparound cover without the recessed cubby that I unscrewed and saved for replacement if and ever.
In the SC console, this is where the big subwoofer??? speaker would normally be placed.

That is the big void that I wish to place the radio, and the small control head will go up and onto the top trap.

So I was hoping to run the coax, under/inside the dash either driver or passenger side and up the A post.

I have a motorized antenna mount presently on quad magnets but don't want to use the magnets as it will eventually ruin the paint.
So I was hoping to mount it on the front bar of the roof rack I installed.
The mount has a remote control tilt over mechanism that lays the antenna flat so I can get into the garage, or raise erect when traveling and doing APRS/chatting with friends.

The rear upper half of the rear hatch is a less desirable location as I was hopeing for the luggage rack center/front.

Is this a good enough description? I hope

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just drill the hole. I had my MNO mount installed for me by a local CB shop, it's centered between the roof racks. You can access the area by removing the dome light and getting the roofliner to droop down. From there he ran it over to the pass-side B-Pillar, tucked it behind the trim and got it down to the passenger side kick panel. From there I routed it to center console for the original radio; I just installed an FT-7900R remote head in the center console and mounted the radio itself under the driver's seat.

Sorry, no pics yet, I'll get some up later today. I would have installed the radio where in the location you referred to, but I have the subwoofer there, so that's a no-go for me.

Don't forget to run the wiring directly from the battery. If your Element is an automatic you can drill the hole in the area where the clutch pedal/master cylinder unit would normally go, there's lots of room there and the insulation is pre-scored for easy removal.

What kind of radio are you planning on installing?

Greg
KF7EEE

·
Registered
11 Posts
It gives it that police car look.
Good Lord No!

Not, repeat, not a Rah-Rah, Look-At-Me guy. Not into Search and Rescue, no "Emergency Communications" decals on the side of the car, no emergency lighting, none of that.

The computer is for GPS and streaming internet radio and MP3's through the auxiliary port, the radio is for general Ham use. The antenna install is for top performance.

Greg

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Say, that's a nice looking underdash setup there.
Could you post a larger pic of it? And where did you get the antenna mount? That exactly what I've been searching for.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Good Lord No!

Not, repeat, not a Rah-Rah, Look-At-Me guy. Not into Search and Rescue, no "Emergency Communications" decals on the side of the car, no emergency lighting, none of that.

The computer is for GPS and streaming internet radio and MP3's through the auxiliary port, the radio is for general Ham use. The antenna install is for top performance.

Greg
Me thinks he doth protest too much. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
oops!
Let me explain an idea, because I`ve taken no pictures when installed.
CB radio (old Mega Jet)and CB amplifier (old Alan) was put one above another (radio in the bottom). then 2 long aluminium strips with holes (builders use them to fix their stuff) were held on to nearfront part of devices and the third to the back. then I fixed 2 strips to nuts above stop pedal and motor shield, the last one to the body (drilling the hole in appropriate place)
thats it!
NB! It`s better to use radio with multifunctional PTT that can switch channels and volume.
antenna mount was made of horn mount from another car. I explain the problem to autoparts shop stuff I they give me accepteble piece of steel. then drilling and cutting and in 10 minutes I have the mount
to make PTT mount i used the plastic hook, they hang the socks in a shop. It is fasten to air deflector with plastic clamp
So you need pack of beer :D,friend, drill, grinder and hummer
good luck!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That is a great install, batvovan. Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ham Radio Antenna Installation on Roof

I did the same thing on my roof with the recommendation from previous poster. Thought I would show my pic..

Mine whistles a bit when getting up in speed, but not super bad.. I probably should have put it a little further back. But I might add another one back there some day..

I bought an aluminum clip mount that I am going to try on the roof rack. I have to get some longer bolts though... My roof rack is a little awkward..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts