Honda Element Owners Club banner

Rubber Floor Mats — Needed or Redundant?

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  SDJohnG 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks! My ‘06 has rubber floor mats; the one in the front cabin slides around; there are mounting holes in it, but no corresponding posts in the floor to attach it so i guess maybe it was made for another year Element? Anyway, I’m not sure i NEED floor mats since the dot-patterned floor itself seems fine, and mats on top of that seems redundant. I have them in the rear cabin too. Do you guys have rubber floor mats over your dot-floor? What are your thoughts on having them? I might just take them out unless there’s a good reason to keep them. Any insights? Thanks!
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Black Automotive design Automotive lighting
Hood Grille Black Automotive design Automotive tire

See less See more
#4 ·
Keep the mat. It is a really nice upgrade which I have enjoyed. They are now really hard to find as they are discontinued. See links below for floor mat anchors. I would go with the OEM has they include three anchors as opposed to two.:

#6 ·
I have the same front mat... but without the slippy/slidey issue.... 🤷‍♂️
I like the "lip" on the edge... it could retain (or slow down?) a liquid spill... or just collect rain/snow off my shoes...

I never even knew there was a mounting kit... I guess I learn something every day...

Cheers!
Brad

#7 ·
I like having the mats, the raised edges keeps moisture and slush in the winter time in the mat and is a bit easier for clean up. When the mats were purchased new from the dealer it came with three metal hooks and screws to attach to the floor of the car. I have them in my Element and they do keep the mat from sliding. There was someone on here that was making or selling or providing 3D printable versions of the mat hooks. That would be the best option if you are missing the mat hooks. I tried velcro loops and plastic ties but the hooks are the best.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the great insights! Since resale value is not a factor (I’m NEVER selling my Element! :) i think I’ll bail on the rubber floor mats and sell them. Since i don’t live in a snowy or slushy climate (beach sand is the only thing that collects on my floor) i think I’ll be fine without them. I like to keep things simple. All your opinions & info were much appreciated!!!

#9 ·
My Element had the rear cargo mat when I bought it. I got tired of it sliding all around, so I made front and rear floormats out of rubber anti-fatigue mats from Home Depot. Looks great, isn't slippery, is padded, and reduces noise. Cost about $50 and a couple hours time.

Somebody else did the same thing and wrote it up. Mine is similar but I covered up more of the rear seat mounts:Home Depot floor mat post

Here is a pic from that thread:

#13 ·
Honda sells the original hooks for the CRV and they are a direct replacement.

#15 ·
Hang onto your OEM floor mats! I had to replace my big front mat on my 2010 with an aftermarket mat and it sucks. It slides around WAY more than the OEM. If I can fight the lazy, I will search Ebay, etc for OEM mats to replace the perfectly fine condition, but garbage quality aftermarket mats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.