Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about buying cans of rubber undercoating for our E for the upcomming winter? I think Zeibart is a waste of money. I got my E in late March, so their isn't any traped salt underneth my E. I think spending $10 on 4 cans of rubber isn't a bad idea but i need pro's and con's on this matter :D

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
The problem is.. when the moisture and salt gets between the coating and the metal (and it will), it will rust faster than if it were left exposed to be rinsed off either naturally or sprayed off by your power washer. The modern galvanising/electroplating/etc rust prevention techniques are pretty good. With a minimum of maintenance, a new car shouldn't rust in the first 10 years anyway.

I'm in Ottawa, ON and salt is the order of the day from Dec to Mar. I just got rid of my 250k '93 Civic in Feb. for the E. Never been rustproofed of any sort and the only place it had started to go was around the rear wheelwells, not coincidentally because Honda put a piece of plastic trim in their for sound protection and while that worked, it also trapped road spray causing it to rust prematurely.

I guess that means my vote would be to clean it and leave it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
This is my opinion. I have a 1997 CRV. I got the undercoating on it and I'm glad I did. This past winter where I live was a horror. Snow drifts as high as 8 feet. The CRV was awesome in the snow. Anyway in the begining of the summer I checked under some cars around the same year as my wifes CRV and noticed little rust spots forming because of NO undercoating. My Wife's car still looks fine. I bought my Element this week and it cost me $400 for the package from my dealer which included window etching, simoniz teflon coating inside and out of the car and the undercoating. It is worth the investment.

Good luck :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I haven't really investigated it fully ( I live in the South) but, I don't think the Element has any metal fender parts anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There seem to be a few differing opinions on undercoating, and I will add one more. I would'nt choose to do this myself but I recomend having it done if for no other reason than it helps reduce road noise a bit IMHO.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I meant to say that I would not apply the coating myself, but I will have it done by a professional. I havent had it on my E yet, but when I had my Neon done it was only like $115.00.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts