Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My fiancee has a 2005 Hondat Element all wheel drive, automatic.

The car is great and I am pretty experienced with cars as my father and I build and race early Camaro's and Corvettes.

Lately I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with her car.

At low speed turns, when wheel is wrapped there is a shimmying, rubbing feeling that you can feel/hear.

There is no apparant rubbing, all seems good, I rotated tires, checked brakes and about everything else.

I have heard this is common in Elements and that it may be strut bushings?

Please advise, I greatly appreciate the help!

Regards, Tim
Boston MA

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Information for the change Here !

What part of Boston are you In ? We are close to Boston also.

Dom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are in Lynn on the Swampscott line, block from the beach. The car is all stock right now.

I am curious as to how and why the rear differential fluid affects the car, causes that sensation/noise in the front?

Thanks, Tim

www.sfaboston.net

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
When I had AT category tires (Cooper ATR) I heard/felt the tires scraping on the pavement as I turned them in low speed corners. Raising the tire pressure a bit shifted load to the center of the tread and reduced contact pressure of the square shoulders. Unfortunately it also shifted wear to the center tread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Change your rear differential fluid. ;-)
I had the same problems with our 06 AWD Element. I also thought it was tires, brakes, or a bad bearing, I changed the diff. fluid and end of problem. Make sure you use Honda approved diff. fluid when you do.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I am curious as to how and why the rear differential fluid affects the car, causes that sensation/noise in the front?
Long story short....when the fluid gets old/worn out it causes binding in the rear differential. This vibration and rubbing is actually in the rear, but because of the car's suspension, steering, and body design it if felt in the front & thru the steering wheel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had the same problem in our 1997 CR-V, hubby changed the rear-diff fluid and all was right again... (and its still going strong at 188k miles)

-brEnna

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had the same problems with our 06 AWD Element. I also thought it was tires, brakes, or a bad bearing, I changed the diff. fluid and end of problem. Make sure you use Honda approved diff. fluid when you do.
Pay attention to the man! After spending $600 for brakes, rotors, fluid, etc., I still had the noise. Reading about it here and $75.00 at the dealer and the noise and sensation went away.

I did need the brakes due to a stuck caliper anyway, so in a way, it turned out to be beneficial about this little "noise" issue the E has.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We just had our rear brakes done AGAIN at 83k miles and they told us the rubbing was differential fluid that was worn out. So, haven't gotten it changed yet but that is our next step. As for the brakes....that is for another forum topic. But,has anyone reading this one had a problem with rear brakes needing replaced too soon and too often. 2006 model.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts