Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found several threads on here about noises from the front end during turns but none of them quite fit what I'm hearing. It's a 2004 with 2-wheel drive with stock tires and suspension (no mods).

It sounds like a brake-dragging noise but only when making a very slow speed turn. It seems to be coming from the inside wheel--left one when turning left, right one when making a right turn. I don't hear it all time; I think it happens if the pavement is slightly uneven.

It's not loud but it is new and I don't like to ignore new sounds. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

·
EOC Rank: Registered
201 Posts
A rear diff flush normally is the first thing that comes to mind since the symptoms seem to hot all four wheel drive Elements eventually.

In this case the vehicle is front wheel drive. It could be bad wheel bearings,struts,bushings or even cv joints. Time to seek out a prossional to look at it in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cannot get it to make the noise on demand. I tried driving slowly around a parking lot, turning right and left with the brakes applied lightly--no sound.

But yesterday I was driving straight and slow on some irregular pavement--without the brakes dragging--and I heard the sound again. It now seems to be from the front suspension. It's not loud and happens so rarely I'm thinking I can probably ignore it for now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
963 Posts
EX 4WD here, but I had the same issue when turning tight. It's weird because the issue began when the weather would first turn chilly, then after a year or so it stopped.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It could be just the strut bushings or the seals. Its hard to diagnose without hearing it but mine will make a slight creaking or groaning in the front just like that and its not the rear diff. It goes away after a few miles and I just attribute it to the cold weather as that is the only time I hear it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
how many miles?
might be the strut bearings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts