Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My -03 E has 130,000 miles on it and really has been the best car until recently. The plugs were recently changed and along with a bad coil pack. Even so, the thing still needs 5-10 minutes to warm up or it stalls on me until I get rolling...even in 60 degree weather.
Yesterday I stalled when I stopped at some railroad tracks. Kind of scary.
It stalls almost every morning at the first couple of stop signs in my neighborhood.
The check engine light is not on, so I haven't a clue....nor did my mechanic.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Too many possibilities to warrant conjecture, especially without an error code. Take it to a competent, well-equipped shop for diagnosis.
I agree with ramblerdan, and you also did not include what routine maintenance you have done. I would start by checking the throttle body for carbon build up, especially on the plate. You can clean the plate with a toothbrush and throttle body cleaner(DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER!).

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It does sound like the idle control in the throttle body needs cleaning. Dirt getting into the idle air circuit will jam the valve.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was indeed a valve adjustment. It is being done today. Hopefully this solves the problem.
Thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have 130,000 miles also, and just did the Elements first Valve Adjustment.
(bought it that way)
I found that the #1 Ex. valve lash was at .000!

The Valve Adjustment solved a few problems that i was having, rough idle, stuttering acceleration, and a weird acceleration as i released the gas pedal. Just FYI...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts