Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good Day To All,

For the Past three years I have been battling with American Honda to repair the Rust that is developing on the interior or my Rear Suicide Doors. The pictures are very straight forward and the official stance that Honda has taken is "...the rust must penetrate the body panel before it will be repaired under warranty." Now that I am out of warranty it will run me over $1300 to repair this rust because it is now able to be penetrated. I want to post these images so that if you are having the same problem that you shouldn't expect Honda to cover it under warranty or even their Hondacare bumper to bumper extended warranty. My advice to you is penetrate the rust to get it covered, as my local Honda rep stated, I only need to be able to get the head of a needle through it to cover it. Needless to say I am not willing to intentionally damage my Honda. I have not and will not damage any of the Eight (8) Hondas that I have owned over the past 14 years. The sad part is that I bought her new off of the showroom and cosmetically and mechanically babied her since she became mine. The rust will only spread and get worse, so start logging complaints today to create a history of the failure. This is just a forewarning to all of you E-owners out there.

A seriously disappointed Element Owner.

The Hulls

I can not get the pictures to insert, so check out the pictures on our page at:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/album.php?albumid=334

Attachments

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Hawaiianhull, please believe me when I say I'm sympathetic to your position vis a vis the warranty. However, if you had just painted some POR-15 on there three years ago, it would probably be OK now. As it is, it still seems like small potatoes. Apply some rust protectant; the door should still be there in another five years.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Yeah, I think I'd try and get it fixed now for a few $s, rather than wait for it to get worse/more expensive.

Good luck.

Will

PS- When did you get snow in the Christmas city? Last week or so we had some snow squalls, but it looks like you got real flakes in your pics.

·
Registered
125 Posts
POR15 is a great way to minimize rusty surfaces, they have a 'starter kit' that i've read rave reviews on my motorcycle forums..

http://www.por15.com/SUPER-STARTER-KIT/productinfo/SSKB/

I can understand your frustration but at the same times no car is manufactured to work and perform flawlessly. Things come up, there may have been inconsistencies in the manufacturing process, paint process or whatever. It happens with every car.

I discovered my Civic had a pin-sized hole in the spare tire well right after my warranty had expired. When I drove during downpours a good amount of water would get in where the spare tire was. I've fixed it with sealant since, but it's just proof that cars aren't manufactured to be 100% perfect.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am also upset that Honda don't use a better primer sealer under the base coat paint. I have had Fords and GM vehicles in the past that when hit by flying rocks would only chip down to the gray primer coat and in most cases would not rust. You see GM trucks all the time with half the paint knocked off and they don't rust. On the other hand the 07 E I bought had a few small rock chips at the edge of the hood and it was down to bare metal and starting to turn black. The next stage is rust. I have been watching the paint real close, and always keep a bottle touch-up paint in the E just for that reason.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I wondered if this was a problem for the Element doors. People would cry if they saw what my rear doors looked like in those spots :-(.

I have no other options but to hit them once a month with Wurth HHS 2000 and pray I never have to remove/replace the door seals on my rear access panels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts