Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my lovely 03' Element to my local Honda Dealership this morning, after hearing a loud rattling/vibrating sound under the hood one for the first time on Monday morning.
After about an hour sitting in their waiting room they tell me that the exhaust manifold is rusted and falling off of the car. . . And that it will cost 500 dollars for them to fix.

Is this something one could fix themselves? Or would you shop around for a better price?
It's not something I can really afford to have fixed right now but the Honda Guy told me it had to be done soon.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Welcome, 03ElementGirl.

Are you sure the service writer wasn't talking about the exhaust manifold cover? That could easily rust through or rattle. If the actual mainfold were rusted through or loosely attached, you'd have significant exhaust noise, smoke, and smell coming from under the hood. Even a minor exhaust leak at the manifold is unmistakable.

A second opinion is called for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy I spoke to was not a technician, just an office guy relaying information, so it very well could be just the cover, because there is no smell or smoke or whatnot, I have not looked myself.
Either way, 500 dollars seemed a bit excessive to me.

We will definitely take it elsewhere for a second opinion, and then probably fix it ourselves, because that's what we do...
Thank You!

·
Registered
599 Posts
My E started the same rattle a couple weeks ago, and I immediately recognized it after having it happen to both my old Accord and current CR-V. It's the manifold heat shield.

$500 is entirely too much to pay for replacement. You should be able to do it yourself as it's just a few bolts, the difficult part is that the shield isn't the most easily accessed component under the hood. You'll have to contort yourself a bit and may end up with some slightly bloody knuckles, but you won't be out $500.

I would encourage you to do it soon though, and don't think you can skate by without a heat shield. That manifold gets wicked hot and you don't want that heat bleeding out into things that aren't designed to take it.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts

Cover, ex. manifold, #4 in illo above, Honda p/n 18120-PZD-A00, list $48, online $35

Do use penetrating oil liberally, tap lightly with a hammer, let sit, repeat. Those 8x22 bolts (95701-08022-04) are sure to be rusted and won't want to come off. Might be worth your while to find a parts store with an 8mm tap or Heli-Coil in stock before you begin. Sorry but I don't know whether they're fine or coarse thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts