Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi E owners, is anyone out there having, or going to have their E rustproofed? I live in the Midwest/Northwest Indiana area,southeast of Chicago and our winters can sometimes be pretty brutal. Most of the towns and cities around here, I believe, still use salt on the roads. I plan on keeping my E for quite a while. I had a 85 Astro van that a previous owner had rustproofed. Needless to say,it had no body rust. Does it really work?? Any replies welcome. 8)

·
Registered
894 Posts
X2E has had his "E" Krowned. He said that you need to be aware that the solution will drip over the cladding. He cleans it away on a regular basis.

Rustproofing does work. but it needs to be applied every year. A solution like Krown is good, where a wax system isn't. Krown will actually drill some holes in the body - they plug them - so that they can get the solution into the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply isketerol.I don't think there's a Krown dealer anywhere around here,or even in Indiana.There are Ziebart places but they seem to be getting fewer and far between(could that mean somethin'??).I heard you could do it yourself with certain products like RhinoLiner,you can get that stuff at Menards. Any others with experience in this? :?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Rhinoliner will protect the outside, but Krown goes inside the frame and body to protect from the outside in. I don't know if Ziebart is the same sort of process as is Krown. I have heard every one speak very highly of Krown.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recommend a Lot of research before you have your E rust proofed. Today's new cars are guaranteed against rust for several years and there are many who say that after market rust proofing may promote rust. Be careful.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks elemental, I have heard this about the newer cars and I think I even read this in the manual(not sure).I'm continuing to research but think I'm getting closer to not doing it. Any other replies welcome. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would study carefully before doing any rustproofing. New cars today normally carry 'rustproofing' coatings and are guaranteed for 5-10 years on rust. It has been a while since I lived in an area that used salt on the winter roads (Mpls). On a recent vist I did not notice too much rust damage on cars except the ones that had been neglected. If taken care of, I think the E would do fine without any extra rustproofing. Of course if you do decide to, I would not think it could hurt.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply EforMe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
[quote:3b71426ea7="elemantal"]I recommend a Lot of research before you have your E rust proofed. Today's new cars are guaranteed against rust for several years and there are many who say that after market rust proofing may promote rust. Be careful.[/quote:3b71426ea7]

To be quite honest, I don't agree. The "guarantee" is usually (1) 6-8 years and (2) the rust must be a hole a certain size. Quite frankly this combination is rare and won't happen. It will take 10-12 years for any car to rust this poorly. If you live in a snow belt, and you don't rust protect your car, you'r looking at the first instance of rust showing up in 8 years. Less if you park inside during the winter. Freezing and melting your car repeatedly everyday is not good for your E.

You won't get your car to the point where it needs major bodywork until its at least 10 years old.

Anyways, I do think that if you live in the snow belt (or actually the Salt Belt) you should get your E oil sprayed but I wouldn't do it until it is 3-4 years old. But that is just my opinion and I don't have any long term experience with one car. Take a look at the number of old cars you see around town with the "Oil Gard" sticker on it and not a spot of rust. I believe that having the sticker means they signed up for a long-term or lifetime of oil spray.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:) Thanks for the reply ra300z,really very informative. It seems that people are split on this issue. I'm still weighing the pro's and con's myself. I think you've got a point with not having it done for three or four years,however,I think that most places who do the rustproofing won't stand behind their work after that long. By the way, who's "oil guard"?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Call it overkill, but I had my E undercoated (the black tarry stuff) when it was new, & intend to have Krown rustproofing done. Krown is an annual application (about $100 in Canada) & they spray inside all body cavities through access holes that they drill & plug. I live in salty Ontario & have had good luck with Krown, but you do need to stick with the annual reapplication and the stuff tends to creep out of every nook & cranny so it does mean more freuent washing.

One note though... the Honda dealership told me that the Honda rust warranty could be voided if the body is 'comprimised' by drilling holes. I don't expect this to be a problem as my rust control should eliminate the potential for making a Honda rust warranty claim, but thought I should pass this along.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reply dew. I've heard alot about Krown but, I don't think I'd like to keep wiping "ooze" off the E. I've heard this mentioned a few times now, here, and on other posts. With so many other people referring to it, it must be a good product, but I'd rather deal with something that stays put once it's on. Thanks again for the input. :wink:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Interestingly, my Honda dealer did not push rustproffing on me, but I dare say that if they had, they probably would use a method like Krown's that would be invasive. I am happy to stick with Krown's warranty.

·
Registered
58 Posts
[quote:6cc14e4282="djwak59"]:) Thanks for the reply ra300z,really very informative. It seems that people are split on this issue. I'm still weighing the pro's and con's myself. I think you've got a point with not having it done for three or four years,however,I think that most places who do the rustproofing won't stand behind their work after that long. By the way, who's "oil guard"?[/quote:6cc14e4282]

Oil Guard is just a company that sells a standard oil spray. Canada only? My understanding is that Krown is very similar but its got more of a waxy property.

You'll pretty much have oozing whatever product you choose. I prefer the dripping oil spray because it tends to move around and gets in all the cracks and nook and crannys.

It's not a lot that oozes out. You'll have to wipe it off maybe a handful of times a year--so its not a lot. I've got an Integra that I got sprayed (dripless--had a brick driveway last year which I didn't want ruined) last year and you can see some oil on the right brake light. But its not anywhere on the body.

Krown claims to be environmentally friendly. I don't have any information to back their claim. I'm not sure if Oil Guard is.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have access to a lift so I undercoated my Element myself. I found 3M pro grade spray at the parts store. I used 3 cans at about 6 bucks a can. I found that the front upper strut area was lacking undercoating also. It turned out perfect. It went on real smooth not clumpy. I ruined a cheap t-shirt and covered my head with undercoating in the process. I let the Element sit for a day to dry. Chicagoland is brutal in the winter on cars. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies iskie,ra, and elementalone. So I can get this 3-M stuff at a parts store huh? You're right elemental, I'm N.W. Indiana, close to Chicago, and the winters here can be brutal,when we get 'em anyway. What stores carry the spray? I'd like to check it out more. 8)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I also own a 1997 CRV besides my "E". When I got my CRV my dealer offered the undercoating and I got it and I'm glad I did. 6 years old and not a spot of rust and she runs like a top. I got it on my "e" also as part of a package my dealer offers. The winters are pretty brutal where I live. I had an 1988 accord for the first 3 years and I needed the "E". I lost a week in vacation time because I couldn't get to work. The CRV is my wife's and it is a ball in the snow. Can't wait to try the "E".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts