Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago today I acquired my, new to me, 2008 Element SC in Root Beer Metallic. That made me very happy. Put about 1,200 miles on it in that time. Very pleased with it's ride, comfort and performance.

So, why a SAD owner???? Well, tonight as I sit stopped waiting to make a left hand turn.... a young man in a 1986 Lincoln Town Car doesn't see me.... Hits me as I sit there.... :mad:

I must have just started to go, and he did nail the brakes, heard him skidding, the damage doesn't seem to bad. No wrinkled metal or side panels (that I could tell), just a split rear bumper plastic.

Take it to the insurance adjuster tomorrow... will know more then. But, it still hurts my feelings! Surely you understand that! I'll keep you fine folks posted.

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
bummer.....:-(

a friend at work just had the same incident. This is my warning not to take a road I usually do. me thinks I'll avoid that turn going to work.

It's the same kind of situation.

jurn

·
Registered
17 Posts
That sucks! Hope everything is ok. Hopefully no metal behind there is wrinkled....that jacks the price to fix it at like 1500 or something crazy!

SNOW

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Wow Gump08SC... Sorry to hear about that man... I know how you feel... Just got my '09 on Sunday (a day after Spenser1/my NC twin) and mowed the front yard with the garage door open... After mowing, I brought out the weed-wacker and started edging that patch of grass... Once done, I brought out the blower to blow the grass back onto the lawn (didn't want to clog the storm drain) and when I went back into the garage to grab the fertilizer, I look down wondering where all these dark gray pieces of dirt on the floor were...

Looking up, I see the entire driver's side rear window with a 6" hole in it...!!! I'm like AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH--WTF!!! Two days man... TWO DAYS...!!! I've been dreaming of this truck for 6-years and on the 2nd day I damage my baby...!!!

Well an accident is an accident and I too feel your pain... Thank your guardian angel because it could of easily been worse... Lots of luck on your repairs and keep me/us updated... I'll be taking pictures tomorrow... It was a huge pain cleaning up all that safety glass...!

LBD

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that :-(. Personally I'd be crushed. As long as a proper examination doesn't turn up anything "unseen", I'm sure you'll be just fine. A co-worker of mine had a similar situation where she had just purchased a brand spanking new, beautiful black 2008 Accord...loaded....and a young lady ran into her in a parking lot. She had it about 2 weeks when it happened. The dealer's body shop did a great job....couldn't tell she was ever hit. Let not your heart be troubled!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks....

I appreciate the kind words friends. Got a better look at it this AM, and it really doesn't look too bad. The rear bumper cover does have a good dent and split/cut in it. So, it WILL be replaced. Glanced up underneath and could not see any "real damage" via my uneducated eye. Have an appointment with the insurance adjuster @ 11:15 today. So, I'll know more then.

LunchBox.... sorry about your damage too! Not at all fun!!!

Thanks again friends.... I'll check back in this afternoon and will get a picture or 2 taken and posted.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
If there is no frame damage, you can save yourself a TON of money and replace the bumper yourself - if I can do it, anyone can..........it took me all of an hour - I had an older gentleman back into mine

Good luck on whatever you decide

·
Registered
262 Posts
So sorry Gump. I feel your pain. It's got to be one the the most frustrating things to happen.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not too bad....

went to see the insurance man.... His opinion mirrored mine. There seems to be no "structural" damage. They will replace the rear bumper cover and the "shock absorbing" material behind it. All told, just under $700.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the "E" held up. Maybe I was just lucky. But, at this point I'll take lucky.

Took a couple photos at lunch time. I'll try to post one later - if it shows the damage....

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
make sure they alloted money to "blend" the adjacent panels as the rootbeer color will NEVER be able to be matched perfectly to the original. also make sure that the bumper doesnt run the tailgate when it opens and shuts rubbing the paint and scratching it. just things to look out for, some body shops and insurance adjusters are great and others... not so much. good luck, hope it all gets made right again for you.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A couple of pics....

First, the split in the bumper cover.
Second, the dent from his bumper.
Third, a fuller rear view -- Notice that I moved the "H" from the upper tailgate to near the license and painted it black.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Ouch...!

And ouch!!!

Keep us updated...!

LBD

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Repairs scheduled

Got with the local Honda Dealer's body shop and have it scheduled for repairs next week. They claim just 2 days... seems easy enough.

I'll try to post some "post repair" pics....

I'll even try to give it a bath before them -- Been caught in the rain a bunch lately.....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At the shop....

Dropped her at the local Honda dealer's body shop last night....

Should have by late tomorrow (I think)....
Again, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was hit from behind a few months ago by a Silverado work truck while stopped at a STOP sign. I actually come to a full stop at the white line....wheels not moving! Repairs were $3,000. New bumper, bumper cover strip and tailgate and a stiff neck. I was out and on the guy in 2 seconds. He was under his steering wheel. Either he ended up there or was fishing for his cellphone....spilled coffee etc. He wouldn't come out of his truck. Everything was fixed fine and no problems. This jerk kept calling me begging to pay privately. His calls were not returned.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Done.... with the work..

But only the actual body work. It looks great. I am well pleased with the outcome.

However, the "other driver" will not return his insurer's calls. So, they will not cut me a check yet. Therefore, I have had to pay out of my pocket to get my "E" back! I am NOT a happy camper at this point.

I am confident that it will all work out fine. But, I really don't care for the additional heartache!

As they say, "These things sometimes happen" :mad:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Something like this is why I have yet to apply for my concealed weapon permit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts