Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Highway Safety Foundation is unhappy with the design of the Element (lack of a B pillar) and although they haven't tested the Element yet their Experts are not happy with the Element, or, at least, questioning the B pillar design. Honda has canceled their plans for side air bags and the speculation (from Honda Representatives) is that the National Highway Safety Foundation does not want them to proceed with further saftey mods until the Element is tested.

The question is, and it's only speculation, is Honda not proceeding with Side airbags because changes may come to the Elements design?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Only time will tell. I have read many reviews like this one below. Looks like Honda covered the safety concerns. I doubt they would make a product that would score lower then their competition.

"Striking design elements include so-called side "suicide doors," which are hinged to open like French doors in a house, providing oversized, pillar-free space to load passengers and gear, and make what Honda calls a "hangout zone" for occupants. Car companies have occasionally used these doors on conceptual models but rarely in production, in part for safety concerns. Honda has compensated elsewhere in the Element's structure and predicts the new model will score five stars, the best score, on government's front and side crash tests."

I can't find the other quote I recall but in a nutshell Honda placed a B pillar in the rear doors. The US site still has the test crash listed as TBT or to be tested (crashed).

·
Registered
608 Posts
A bunch of the reviews I have read also commented about the safety issues. From what I have seen (and I wish I could remember where), most reviewers believe that the lack of a B pillar should not be an issue. It seems that was one of the concerns that Honda thought of, and planned ahead for.

I guess we just have to wait a few months till the results are out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
:!: :idea: I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU ALL KNOW. DURING HONDAS TESTING OF THE ELEMENT, IT SCORED ABOVE A FIVE STAR SAFETY RATING. THE TESTS WERE PERFORMED AT THE HONDA FACILITY IN JAPAN. ALSO I HOPE THAT YOUR SALESPERSON WOULD HAVE EXPLAINED TO YOU THE FACT THAT THE ELEMENTS LACK OF A B-PILLAR IS NOT A DETREMENT TO ITS SAFETY. LOGICALLY YOU WOULD THINK THAT IT SHOULD BE, BUT HONDAS HOOK AND LATCH RETAINING SYSTEM IS JUST AS STRONG.

·
Registered
608 Posts
PSKBEAR,

Thanks for the info. I had seen something to that effect, but was not sure where I saw it. I can't wait for the test results to be posted to end all the questions.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i agree that honda wouldnt put out a car that isnt safe. lets see i wonder how the new mini cooper faired in saftey testing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is no Hiway Safety Foundation and anyway this is not who does the crash ratings. This is the same as the posts on the other Element site. This guy is full of Fordcrap. Do you think for a second that Honda would do this....NO WAY. Chrysler maybe, Ford more than likely....Honda, Toyota, etc...no! :twisted:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I meant the NHTSA (OKay !!). It's the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Say that 10 times.

That doesn't matter, Honda reps are saying the Side AirBags have been shelved for 2003 - and NHTSA has to be sold on the E from a Safety standpoint. They have questions and concerns - but testing is the only way of sorting it out.

And the testing has yet to been conducted ...

I don't know what site you are talking about, but don't paint with such a broad brush.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote:e9ef6e099a="OrangeEman"]There is no Hiway Safety Foundation and anyway this is not who does the crash ratings. This is the same as the posts on the other Element site. This guy is full of Fordcrap. Do you think for a second that Honda would do this....NO WAY. Chrysler maybe, Ford more than likely....Honda, Toyota, etc...no! :twisted:[/quote:e9ef6e099a]

If I asked you 1 year ago if Honda would roll out a major new addition targeted at young active people and advertise it as having durable, scratch resistant panels - ONLY to find the panels scratch easily Much more easily than GMs = You would've said NO WAY. That something FORD would do, plastic panels have been on cars for years, Honda would never do something like that...

Honda is not perfect. They missed the mark on several easy items

·
Registered
1,898 Posts

here is a diagram of how Honda over came the pillar issue.. and it was completely approved before production..

i am curious where you are receiving your conflicting information. If it is salespeople.. perhaps their agenda is to buy now, & not wait..

i have heard no plans not to produce the side air bag models, though i don't see an advantage to them, if it were side curtain (protecting from the side window glass) that would be one thing.. but what i have seen is it is just a lower bag protection.. which is not going to do enough or much if anything.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The schematic is impressive. I'd pass it, but what the heck do I know.

You are right, they are not the side curtains (ala Saturn), they are below the windows. I've been told they aren't doing them - why I don't know.

I'm going to call the dealer today and inquire, but the last time I called the dealer, all I got was Honda keeps us in the dark...

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
try more than one dealer, but overall from what my experience with dealers more often than not they do not have much or any knowledge.. do not rely on them as athe end all know all source.. cause they don't know all, if anything!

Sure you can get lucky, but that is LUCK... which we know is not a frequent event. Overall do your own research, and i know there are people here who will help with that! I beleive in facts not rumor.

One dealer i checked the element at, he knew sooo incredibly little about the Element I said call me if youneed help.. think he got my subtle hint!?

·
Registered
32 Posts
[quote:6a03cb4e7b="Simon"]The schematic is impressive. I'd pass it, but what the heck do I know.

You are right, they are not the side curtains (ala Saturn), they are below the windows. I've been told they aren't doing them - why I don't know.

I'm going to call the dealer today and inquire, but the last time I called the dealer, all I got was Honda keeps us in the dark...[/quote:6a03cb4e7b]

SIMON IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS I SELL THEM AND OWN ONE LET ME KNOW. MATT

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
pskbear, i think simon was referring to the side curtain air bags.. not the curtain option for the inside of the vehicle for camping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts