Honda Element Owners Club banner

Santa Barbara: So Cal National Regional Combo Meet - Will You Be Attending?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Join us in Santa Barbara for the National Regional Combo Meet - Saturday, June 27, 2009.

Yes!!! This is going to be a great day for the So Cal Chapters of the EOC, ROC and CR-VOC, as we join together on Saturday, June 27 for the National Regional Combo Meet in Santa Barbara, CA. What a great opportunity for members of each club to get together and meet one another!

If you've never been to any one of our previous meets and have hesitations about going for the first time...get rid of them! This event will be fun and nothing we do is required. You can confirm your attendance now by selecting one of the poll responses above, check in at the meet and hang out in Santa Barbara by yourself if you choose to do so. But, I have a feeling you may want to mingle with the others after you get a chance to meet a few of our many friendly members. So, confirm your attendance today. Please let me know by selecting one of the poll responses above. This is important because I want to make sure that I have enough event badges and other items that I am working on. Join us on Saturday, June 27, 2009! I look forward to seeing you there!

Meeting Location and Time
We will be meeting and greeting at Santa Barbara City College, 721 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, Lot 3, Loma Alta Road and Shoreline Drive, at 9:30 am.

Caravan to Santa Barbara
Are you up for a road/day trip? How about driving to the Meet with a couple of meeting/gathering points along a prescribed route to Santa Barbara? Sort of like a Tour d’ Elegance. It will be fun to meet and greet other Meet attendees like this and caravan to Santa Barbara. We think it would be fun to caravan to Santa Barbara. Please note, caravanning to Santa Barbara is not a requirement. You may decide to meet up in Santa Barbara. However, if you are planning to join the caravan, you will want to join us at one of the following meeting/gathering points:

· Pomona Park & Ride Lot, Pomona:
The caravan will start at the Pomona Park & Ride Lot at Fairplex Drive and Gillette Road, just north of the I-10 Freeway in Pomona. You will be able to see the Park & Ride Lot from the Freeway. We will meet at the Lot to start the caravan at 6:00 am. We will depart at 6:30 am. As we depart, we will be heading west on the I-10 to State Route 57 north, and ultimately to the I-210 / State Route 134 west to the US-101 north, to our next meeting/gathering location.

· Topanga Canyon Boulevard & Burbank Boulevard, Woodland Hills
From the Pomona Park and Ride Lot, we will be going to our next meeting/gathering location, Topanga Canyon Boulevard and Burbank Boulevard. Just north of the freeway, there is a Denny’s Restaurant. We will meet there in the parking lot. This stop is approximately 52 miles from Pomona. We should arrive at Denny’s around 7:30 am. If you are planning to start the caravan from this location, meet us here. We will depart at 7:45 am. As we depart, we will be heading north on US-101 to our next meeting/gathering location.

· Pacific View Mall, Ventura
From Topanga Canyon & Burbank Boulevard, we will be heading to our next meeting/gathering location, the Pacific View Mall, located just east of the US-101, along East Main Street at Dean Drive. We will meet there in the parking lot. This stop is approximately 40 miles from Woodland Hills. We should arrive there around 8:30 am. This will be a short stop of approximately 15 minutes, departing at 8:45 am to our next location, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara City College, Lot 3.

Please note, for those who plan to caravan, you will need to find your own lodging accommodations.

Campout at Lake Cachuma
The Lake Cachuma Recreation Area has been suggested for those who want to campout near Santa Barbara. Just 20 miles from Santa Barbara, Lake Cachuma has a lot to offer for the camper enthusiast including over 400 campsites, none of which can be reserved in advance, first come first serve only. From Santa Barbara take Highway 101 to the San Marcos Pass exit, Highway 154. From the north, take Highway 101 to Highway 154; Cachuma Lake is about 14 miles east. Lake Cachuma includes:

· BBQ Grills, Benches or Picnic Tables, Bike Trails, Bird Watching, Equestrian Trails, Fishing, Group Picnic Areas, Hiking Trails, Horseshoes, Playground, Restaurant or Snacks, Restrooms, Swimming, Tent or RV Camping., General Store, Coin Laundry, and Fishing.

For more information on Lake Cachuma and campsite information, here: http://www.sbparks.org/2007/Cachuma/cachumalake.html. So anyone wishing to camp should show up as early as possible at the Lake to get a campsite. Those who choose to camp can meet us down in Santa Barbara, at the City College

Saturday Agenda
Santa Barbara is a great place to see, places to eat and places to visit. The agenda below is flexible.
· Agenda:
o 9:30-11:00 am: Santa Barbara, Meet & Greet at SBCC, Lot 3
Shake hands and meet the many fellow Element, Ridgeline and CR-V owners, check out the modifications that have been done to some member’s vehicles and just have fun!
o 11:00-11:30 am: Caravan to Mission Santa Barbara via State Street
(Or Scenic Drive to Mission Santa Barbara via Shoreline Drive/Cliff Drive)
o 11:30 am-12:00 pm: Group Photo at Mission Santa Barbara
o 12:00pm – Until: On your own!!!

One reason for this meet is to meet your fellow So Cal Members :D. That being said, the main activity is for you, us, to meet up together, go out and enjoy Santa Barbara and its surroundings. I will leave the afternoon activities to your own imagination. There has been talk of a small group, or all, doing one of the following:
o Caravan to Solvang
o Going to the Beach
o Going to the Wharf
o Hang out in Downtown Santa Barbara
o Caravan to Lake Cachuma
o Wine Tasting
o Etc.

See next post for additional information

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additional Information

Additional notes from above:

Other Important Notes
· Have fun. Introduce yourself to others and make new friends. This is our first National Regional Combo Meet. So, don’t be shy!

· Be flexible. There is a lot of work and preparation that goes into every meet, especially something like the National Regional Combo Meet. But, things happen. Weather, traffic, change of plans, agenda. We do our best to set up these Meets; however, there are always some unforeseen issues. This year will probably be no different.

· Help each other out. If you are leading a group on the highway during our travels, think about others and do your best to keep yourself visible. Let’s be friendly to one another.

· Be prepared. Think about water, sun screen, gas or any other thing you may need during the day.

· As you start your trip to Santa Barbara, drive safe. When it is your time to travel home, drive safe.

Let me finish by saying thank you in advance for your attendance to this year’s So Cal National Regional Combo Meet in Santa Barbara. I am hoping to meet you all :D. Thank you again for your support and consideration.

JSm00th

·
Registered
834 Posts
I will definitely do the Caravan on the 27th and maybe do the Cachuma for the night, promised my Kids the Camp after School :rolleyes: :D!!!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I want to join the Caravan, seek Lodging in Santa Barbara and maintain a campsite in Cachuma. :rolleyes: I plan on being everywhere and doing everything.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I voted "undecided" on the poll, as that is what I am right now. I am on the fence about this. We will see how it goes. I think I might just base this off of whether I am scheduled for work or not.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I should make the caravan if all goes right.:) I will bring some radios to talk to each other.:)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Gene, are you leaving on Friday night or Saturday morning? Still deciding..want to camp, but since its first come first serve, afraid that I may not be able to get a camp site.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Gene, are you leaving on Friday night or Saturday morning? Still deciding..want to camp, but since its first come first serve, afraid that I may not be able to get a camp site.

We're shooting to be there sometime in the late afternoon on Friday.
Once we're in and have a campsite you can share a site with us.
But I don't think the campground will fill completely - that usually happens only on three day holiday week ends.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hey Gene, thanks for the offer. I will think about it, since I still need to work out with my work schedule. I will probably leave early Saturday morning, don't want to greet the LA traffic on Friday afternoon.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hey guys- Sounds Doable

Ted and I will probably be on our way to L.A. about that time for our Mom visit.
Sounds like a great time to stop over and visit some EOC groupers.
Teddy needs some camping practice before the September outing.
Is there a certain spot you are shooting for at the campground?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Ted and I will probably be on our way to L.A. about that time for our Mom visit.
Sounds like a great time to stop over and visit some EOC groupers.
Teddy needs some camping practice before the September outing.
Is there a certain spot you are shooting for at the campground?

Way kewl!
We won't know exactly what spot at the campground we'll be hammering our tent pegs in until we get there.
They let you go pick a campsite once you arrive and when you find one that you like, you go back to the entrance gate and register it.
Call us on our cell phone when you get there and we'll tell you what site we're in.

Nice campground - huge lake - big fishies - but no swimming in the lake unless you're a fish.
However they do have a very nice swimming pool. :)

Lots and lots of birds - Cachuma Lake is on the Pacific Flyway for migratory birds.
Many different species hang out there on thier way to South America.
Teddy will go nuts!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Double Booking

It now appears that I will not be able to make it to the Big EOC Event cause I will be in Oklahoma doing my "Thang".
As part of the Pro Leisure Circuit that I'm on, it will be Golf & BBQ for 3 days at Quail Ridge and then Golf & Chili for 3 days in Broken Arrow. It was a tough choice and I wasn't going to go until they promised me all the "Black Diamond" Watermelons I could eat, and then it was a done deal.

Have a great time, I was really looking forward to catching up with my EOC family and friends. See ya in Tahoe.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Dang*

Thing's are looking like we won't be able to make this gig either.
The wife's got conflicting business priorities in Chicago.
The boss want's her to hob nob with tenants in commercial properties that the company owns in Naperville.
The upside is we get to use the 53rd floor luxury apartment the company owns in Chicago at the corner of East Chicago Ave & Michigan Ave.
It's also an opportunity to eat some awesome Mexican Cusine at Rick Bayless's Frontera Grill on Clark St.
(Rick's one of my favorite Chefs)
and visit The Chicago Institute of Art and see works from some of my favorite artists like Edward Hopper and Frank Stella to name a few.
Of course it's all free including airfare for the both of us and it would be stupid not to go.
So unless Richelle's boss changes his mind and reschedules the date - we'll be in Chicago on the 27th.

Like Jet said.... CYA in Tahoe.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ate at Frontera last year. It was a great experience. I suggest you make your reservations early (like now). Have fun if you go.

Dang*

Thing's are looking like we won't be able to make this gig either.
The wife's got conflicting business priorities in Chicago.
The boss want's her to hob nob with tenants in commercial properties that the company owns in Naperville.
The upside is we get to use the 53rd floor luxury apartment the company owns in Chicago at the corner of East Chicago Ave & Michigan Ave.
It's also an opportunity to eat some awesome Mexican Cusine at Rick Bayless's Frontera Grill on Clark St.
(Rick's one of my favorite Chefs)
and visit The Chicago Institute of Art and see works from some of my favorite artists like Edward Hopper and Frank Stella to name a few.
Of course it's all free including airfare for the both of us and it would be stupid not to go.
So unless Richelle's boss changes his mind and reschedules the date - we'll be in Chicago on the 27th.

Like Jet said.... CYA in Tahoe.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Ate at Frontera last year. It was a great experience. I suggest you make your reservations early (like now). Have fun if you go.
Thanks for the tip BH! :)

I'm making the reservations immediately.
Always wanted to try his Chile Rellenos -
I have Rick's book Authentic Mexican and wanted to make them but it was a bit of a project and I haven't gotten around to it yet.
What did you have when you dined there - any recommendations?

·
Registered
603 Posts
The menu changes monthly here is the link

http://www.rickbayless.com/menu/

There are two Rick Bayless restuarants located at this address. Frontera is more casual and Topolobamp seem to be more formal.

It was our girls weekend with my sister, cousin and sister in law. We shared about 5 appetizers and sampled 4 different main courses between us. We basically went with what the waiter was recommending at the time. It was all good.

Whatever you order I am sure you will not be disappointed. Of course you can get all your Rick Bayless stuff there as well.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Despite a possible low turnout, the So Cal edition of the 2009 National Regional Meet will take place this Saturday in Santa Barbara. Sorry to see that some will not be attending due to other commitments. However, those who are on the fence, I hope that you decide to come. For those who are joining a caravan, or meeting us in Santa Barbara, I will see you on Saturday.

Thanks again for your support :D.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts