Honda Element Owners Club banner

OK - Who's in on this?

• State Street in Santa Barbara - here I come!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Santa Ynez Valley has some of Cali's best wineries - I'll be there.

• I just want to kick back at the lake and fish!

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I anticipate having this 747 in the containers and on it's way to Taiwan so I should be able to make this one. I'm still packed up from the last one (which I didn't attend). Is it going to rain this time ? Never mind I don't care.
I thought you were in Taiwan.
Glad you're still in town and didn't add yourself to the contents of the container.
Can't wait to CYA - it's been awhile.
PS: Can Jeannie go too?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
well, i lived in sb for 5 years back in the 80's and spent many a night camping around those parts. Stories will be told around the campfire. With gene pouring...

So yes, i will be there.

Anyway, i'm not done processing all my pics from my trip to nm yet, but here is a fun one from the city of rocks state park:
so if you are on the fence about this trip, just do it! It will be a fun time for all.

P.s. Breakfast at cold springs is a must!!!

Regards,
greg
Woot Woot! Yeah Greg!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Of course there will be an itinerary for the Wine Tour which we are currently working on. We hope to have the entire thing posted in a week so stay tuned.

During the wine tour we will be stopping for lunch at one of the wineries that we'll be "tasting" at.
It is absolutely imperative that you eat a breakfast before and a lunch during the time you'll be tasting and touring.

People can make any kind of lunch they like and pack it in a cooler.
For those who are lazy and don't want to bother putting together a pre-made lunch will have another option..
The start of the Wine Tour will begin after breakfast (at Cold Spring Tavern I hope) -
with the first stop in Los Olivos at the "Los Olivos Grocery". www.losolivosgrocery.com
People who have not packed a lunch can get some great sanwiches here...

There's plenty of other wonderful food items at the Los Olivos Grocery including grilled sandwiches, cheese, fruits, drinks and just about anything else you might want.

PS: if you'll be drinking wine during the picnic lunch (at which ever winery we end up at) it is considered tacky to drink a wine from another winery.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
The Basics of Wine Tasting while Touring:

The key word here is "Tasting."
As a group we'll be visiting at least 4 different wineries & estates and driving to each one.
Therefore if you're driving without a designated driver you need to be aware that "drinking" the wines (depending on your constitution)
could get you into trouble if you're driving.
So please make sure if you do drink you are not impaired.
Here are some tips to make your Wine Tasting Tour a great one.

* Do not wear strong perfumes or fragrances while tasting wine. Most of what you taste, is what you smell! Strong fragrances can alter the wines that you are tasting. It also alters the wine others are tasting.

* Chewing mints or gum will definately affect the taste of the wine - and not for the better! Smoking will have the same effect.

* The goal of wine tasting is to expose you to great wine and help acquaint you with a particular winemaker's style, not get you drunk.
We want you to have a great time, feel comfortable, maybe learn a little but please limit your consumption to what you know you can easily handle.

* You will be given "tastes" of wine. The pour that you get will vary from winery to winery - some giving more than others.
(and possibly more than you want)
The wineries will not be offended if you either spit or dump out the wine.
No one at any winery will put you on the spot if you do not swallow the wine.
You may also opt out of tasting a particular wine if it's not your thing.
(although it's highly recommend that you taste all types of wine since one type can differ in style from one winery to another)

* Do not be afraid to ask questions.
Wine makers LOVE to tell you about thier wines. No question is a stupid question and learning adds so much to the wine drinking experience.

* Drink lots of water between tasting wines.
Staying hydrated is the key to avoiding hangovers and getting sauced.
You'll thank yourself in the morning.
The wineries will provide cheese, crackers, fresh fruit and plenty of water. That all helps with the "wine buzz" and enhances the entire experience.

* Take a note pad to make tasting notes. It's always good to write down your perception of the wine you taste as you taste it (and while you can still remember).
You'll be surpised later when you go back and read your notes how it helps you learn and enjoy wine at a new level.

* If you find a wine that you especially like, buy it from the winery!
You don't have to feel obligated to purchase on your visit, but if you know you're going to buy it anyway,
then why not directly from the people who make it?
Plus it's a great token of your wine excursion and it gives way to share the experience with friends when you return home.

* Lastly, enjoy yourself. Experiencing wineries should be a very fun experience.
Try wineries you may of never been to and some that you've never heard of.
Try some wines that you wouldn't normally drink (excluding the bum wines like Night Train, Mad Dog 20-20, and Thunderbird) ;-)
Ultimately, We want to make sure you feel comfortable in the tasting rooms, learn a little, taste some great wines and have a wonderful time.
It is YOUR day, we want it to be the best possible.

Note: for those of us camping at Cachuma Lake on Saturday night there will be a Pot Luck Dinner under the stars.
People are encouraged to do it up. Anything goes and it will be tasty good time fun.
This is the time to un-cork a few bottles of the exquisite wines we'll of purchased during the wine tour.
We'll go from "tasting" the wines to consuming them.
Heck - you can drink as much as you want to, it will be safe, you'll be amongst friends and not have to worry about driving.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
If you've seen the movie "Sideways" then you know that our Wine Tour will be touring many of the wineries featured in the movie.
Most of which takes place in the Santa Ynez Valley.
If you haven't seen the movie it is recommended you rent it and check it out before you attend the gig.
It's very funny, great acting, excellent story and won an academy award for Best Picture.
Here's a classic scene from it...

Sideways - "OK, but I am not drinking any %@##!&^! Merlot! :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiOuroHPxRQ&feature=related

·
Registered
158 Posts
We have six E's and assorted guests and dogs attending so far.

What's wrong with you E'ples?
Forgot how to drive?

If the weather cooperates this is going to be a faboo time!!!!!!

If you've never done a wine tour before you're missing out on some extrodinary fun.
Don't let this opportunity pass you by.

PS: Camping at Cachuma Lake is an option - if you don't want to camp you can just show up for the wine tour on Saturday.
It's all good.
Sorry, I won't be able to make this one. We are firing up the family truckster for vacation, leaving the prior weekend. But we will be right up the road aways in Pismo Beach.

Sounds like fun, everyone enjoy and have a safe trip!!

Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can't make it

Y'all are near my neck of the woods and we'd love to join you, but our longstanding obligation for the week-end is the Santa Barbara International Marathon. It starts in Goleta and ends in SB at SB City College. Your weekend will be great fun in a wonderful setting. As others have said, take it easy on Highway 154 and the SY Valley roads, watch for cyclists, and know that the CHP and Sheriff are looking for tipsy drivers as well as speeders...so take it easy. Here's hoping for great weekend weather. Please post some pix afterwards!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Gene,

Cachuma Lake offers a discount on camping fees: "Reduced rate for seniors, disabled or members of AAA, FMCA and Good Sam Clubs. No duplicate discounts apply."

Knocks it from $20 to $18.

There is another option to Cachuma. There is a group campground called Sage Hill along Paradise Road. Actually, it is a group only area with 5 group campsites, water and flush toilets, but no showers. Paradise store is only a few minutes away.

Now I have not been in the area for 20 years, but it is beautiful. About 8 miles south of Cachuma Lake and close to Stagecoach Road. It is next to the Santa Ynez River.

Clicky

Up to 10 vehicles and 50 peeps for only $91 per night.

If more than 5 E's show up it would be cheaper, and we all love group sites.

Anyway, something to think about.

Also, if you click on the Element Camping link in my sig, the last 51 pics are from my latest trip.

Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Greg - Thanks for the heads up.
I think we'll only be about 5-6 Elements - probably not enough to opt for a group site at Sage Hill.
I've been to that campground and it's nice but we have women with us and as far as I know...
they're still demanding hot & cold water restrooms with showers. :roll:
However; if everyone wants to camp there instead I would have no problems with it other than who wants to volunteer to fork out $200 in up front cost to reserve it?

With less than two weeks to go Cachuma is easier to deal with.
Won't be crowded (never is this time of year) we don't need to reserve sites, the campground is enormus and right on the lake.
We'll share a campsite at Cachuma with anyone who needs it.
Big campsites too!

PS: Looking to find a good group campground in the Mt. Shasta region of Northern California.
Considering this area for next summers camping binge.
Shasta or Yellowstone are looking like the front runners for next summer.
We're open to other suggestions as well - eventually we'll put up a "Poll" and let the E'ples choose which.

Drove through Klamath, Shasta/Trinity, Siskiyou, Modoc and Lassen National Forests on the way to Reno from the Klamath meet.
Massively beautiful area with a bunch of State and National Parks all with in proximity to one another.
Lots of lakes and many rivers.
Wadda think?
Any ideas on group campgrounds in those parts?
(found a bunch in my California Camping book with costs and discriptions but haven't actually been to any of them)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I'm sill negotiating scheduling. I should know by this weekend. How do I get a site if I am driving up after work FRI pm? (LA area + traffic = 8pm arrival?)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I'm sill negotiating scheduling. I should know by this weekend. How do I get a site if I am driving up after work FRI pm? (LA area + traffic = 8pm arrival?)
Easy as pie.
Just drive to the campground and look for Elements.
Seriously.. We'll have a cell phone number for you to call if you get lost or can't figure it out
and we can always send someone up to the gate to meet you.
The entrance gate may not be manned at 8:00 PM but you'll still be able to drive into the campground.

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you - hope your scheduling will work out - this will be fun!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Haha. I CAN find Elements. I meant how do I pay the campground for a slot if there is nobody there that late?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Anyone going from the Northern Parts! I may consider.

There is a remote chance I may consider going to this event. I do have some extra days to use. Marilyn if you are going, let me know, perhaps we can hook up ahead of time even and bum around together your neck of the woods for a day.

Is anyone getting there on Thurs?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey Gene,

I am coming up Friday morning with the dogs and one E, and John is coming up that evening after work with our other E and my mom (wonder who go the better deal - HAHA!!! JK, my mom is a fun hoot!):lol:

I am wondering if we can put both cars in one spot, or if we have to snag two spots next to each other (which is no problem)?

I'll see you Friday around noon-ish!

-Tonya

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
There is a remote chance I may consider going to this event. I do have some extra days to use. Marilyn if you are going, let me know, perhaps we can hook up ahead of time even and bum around together your neck of the woods for a day.

Is anyone getting there on Thurs?
Richelle and I are arriving mid morning on Friday.
Hope you and Marilyn hook up - looking forward to seeing youze guys! :)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Hey Gene,

I am coming up Friday morning with the dogs and one E, and John is coming up that evening after work with our other E and my mom (wonder who go the better deal - HAHA!!! JK, my mom is a fun hoot!):lol:

I am wondering if we can put both cars in one spot, or if we have to snag two spots next to each other (which is no problem)?

I'll see you Friday around noon-ish!

-Tonya
Two E's, two dogs, and John and your mom too!? :shock:

HaHaHa! this is already starting to be fun and it hasn't even happened yet. :lol:

You can park both Elements in the same site.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Looking sweet for the meet!
Perfect weather for camping and wine tasting! :jump021::food005:

Forecast for Cachuma Lake and the Santa Ynez Valley is sunny with temps in the High 70's/ Low 80's!
Might be a little chilly camping at night with temps in the High 40's
(NBD - just bring an extra sleeping bag)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Well, I WILL be going, the +1 WON'T be going, but I'm not sure if I will be arriving late Fri, or early Sat.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
The Wine Tour Itinerary

We have more wineries in the area than we can possibly visit in one day.
Djembe's G.F. "Allyson" works at the Babc ock Winery in Lompoc.
We're hopeful getting some special treatment there if Allyson can work it out for us. (keep your fingers crossed)
The Babc ock Winery will be top priority if things fall into place.

Here's a list of the wineries and estates we'de like to visit.
We can't do them all but which ever wineries we do decide upon are on this list along with "links" to thier webstes. (do check them out)

Babc ock Winery: Can't connect "Babc" and "ock" together to form one word in the forum :roll: but you can... www.babc ockwinery.com
Beckmen Winery: www.beckmenvineyards.com
Sanford Winery: www.sanfordwinery.com
Firestone Winery: www.firestonewine.com
Fess Parker Winery: www.fessparker.com
Foxen Vineyard: www.foxenvineyard.com
Zaca Mesa Winery: www.zacamesa.com
Rancho Sisquoc Winery: www.ranchosisquoc.com

21 - 40 of 103 Posts