Honda Element Owners Club banner

OK, Who's on board for this?

• Do we have to get permission slips from our parents again?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2011 EOC Santa Barbara Wine Tour & Campout

Cachuma Lake Recreational Area, Santa Barbara, CA

October 27 - 30

This is the 6th consecutive year for this meet and it's always great.
Nobody goes home disapointed.
Part of the reason is the location; a huge beautiful lake situated behind the mountains above Santa Barbara and it's adjoining lakeside campground.
The campground has every comfort ammenity imaginable, including a marina w/boat rentals (kayaks & canoes too)
a swimming pool, snack bar, campstore, showers and playing fields that are great for flying kites.
This is a huge campground on a peninsular that juts out on to the lake. The campsites are large and well spread out with lots of shade.
Expect to see birds. Lots of birds as Cachuma Lake is a stop over spot on the migratory Pacific Flyway.

CAMPGROUND:
Cachuma Lake ~ Campsite reservations are not required. First come first serve. With over 400 sites it's never a problem.
Camping Fools like the Barona Shores section of the campground best. (site #281 -295)
http://www.countyofsb.org/parks/parks05.aspx?id=13440

Along with tent camping there are yurts and cabins available too.

WINE TOUR:
There are impressive wineries all over Santa Barbara County.
The closest wineries to our campground are in the Santa Ynez Valley, some have been in movies - we'll be visiting some of them.
The "Sideways" Wine Trail http://www.winecountrygetaways.com/sideways-wine-trail.html

Just like in the flick, we'll be rolling down the same road and visiting the same wineries featured in the movie. (Best Picture 2003)

more details coming Soon

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Yay, it won't cover Halloween!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Road Map

Here's a map of wineries on the "Sideways Wine Trail"
Cachuma Lake (our campground) is a few miles off the bottom right of page.
All the wineries have 'purple dot' icons next to them.
This is beautiful country to drive and sightsee, you need not be a wino to appreciate what this area has to offer in visual delights.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is such an awesome idea! I have a race that weekend sadly :(

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I want to do everything on your list. jean & I are "In".
Do we need to make Campsite reservation ?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
We had Breakfast at Cold Springs Tavern a few years ago. Wow, it was awesome. I've been looking for a reason to stop in again, but I'm usually on a Mission as I fly by. (1/2 mile above it on the bridge)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just like last year:
If Ric and Ally can make the gig, maybe we can ask, beg or plead Ally into hooking us up again for another hands on, up close and personal tour
of The Babc_ock Winery in Lompoc. (Ally works there)

They had some phenominal wines and I'd sure like to get me case!

Ric posing with four bottles from the Babc_ok Winery.

Ally works the fork lift while Ric looks on.. "Hey Ally.. you just ran over a stink bug the size of a Buick.. just sayin."

Colin workin the mash hopper thingy. "Don't go stickin your nose in here or it will turn purple forever."

From the vine to the bottle - Ally schools Carol on the process of how wine gets done.
We've visited alot of wineries and estates in this area but the tour that Ric's GF Ally provided us was spectacular.
Keeping our fingers crosses that we can do it again this year.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Since you are camping in my backyard again, i will definately go if i still don't have a job, and will try very hard to go if i actually do find a job. :|

If you are looking to hike off a delicious breakfast at Cold Spring Tavern (love their bacon!) try: the Backcountry Hikes section of the Santa Barbara Hikes website for Santa Ynez valley hikes. Should be nice and cool by october!

And be very cautious on Hwy 154 up to the lake, there was a fatal accident involving an Element a few months ago (link here)- three people in the E, two injured, one died.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
NOTICE!
CHANGE OF DATE :

To accomadate the needs of other Camping Fools ~
We are changing the date of this meet by pushing it back one week to...

OCTOBER 20 -23

·
Registered
177 Posts
Great Idea

Because I was going to have to cancel because my sister is having a Halloween Party and I was going to miss this trip. So now, I can make both. I'm leaving home early Saturday and meet everyone at Cold Springs for Breakfast. Do you plan on being at Cold Springs about 8:30am?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Because I was going to have to cancel because my sister is having a Halloween Party and I was going to miss this trip. So now, I can make both. I'm leaving home early Saturday and meet everyone at Cold Springs for Breakfast. Do you plan on being at Cold Springs about 8:30am?
Well then... glad we switched the dates for the meet!

Saturday Stuff:

Cold Spring Tavern Group Breakfast ~ 9:00 AM
Bring an appetite! :roll:
http://coldspringtavern.com/index.html

Wine Tour Convoy of Es ~ 11:00 AM :food005::jump021:

You need not be a Wino to enjoy this meet. In fact about a third of us don't even drink.
Cachuma Lake (where we're camping) is a gianormus, first rate, beautiful recreational area situtated right on the lake
which offers stupendous fishing, boating and hordes of other fabulous things to do.
If Wine Touring ain't your thing we got your back. You can hang out at the lake and play or just sit along the shore reading a good book.
Other options are visiting the Danish themed village of Solvang and State St. in Santa Barbara,
where you can take hang around the wharf/harbor area, take walk over to the zoo, or just lay out on the beach.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I don't care, just say "When & Where" and I'll be there. ....
Very commendable Jet. I always liked your style. 8)

Yeah, we decided to push the meet back a week so it won't interfere with people's Halloweenie plans.
Ric says add him to the list of distinguished Wino dignataries - he'll be there.

And speaking of Ric... Got to see "Nocturna" perform (Michelle, Belly Dancer extrodinaire with Ric and his djembe drum) at the LA County Fair yesterday.
Good, good fun. Had myself a heck of a Birthday!

Gene's 60th at LA Co. Fair 006.jpg
"Nocturna" Michelle and Ric

Gene's 60th at LA Co. Fair 035.jpg
Out of costume but can't stop dancing

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Gene's 60th at LA Co. Fair 028.jpg
Richelle's digging it.

Gene's 60th at LA Co. Fair 036.jpg
Michelle, Ally and Ric at the Netsuke exhibit.

Gene's 60th at LA Co. Fair 029.jpg
Many amazing giant wood sculptures. (this one of the small ones)
If you live in SoCal you should go to the fair. It's incredible with so many great things to see and do and eat and drink!

So my camera runs out of batteries and I only get a few pics.
(Lucky for ya'll cause I woulda wall-papered the forum with them) :roll:
Seriously.. do go to the LA County Fair.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Dogs in Canoes:)

Nope. reservations are not necessary. Just show up, look for Elements and pick out a campsite.
They allow dogs in Kayaks now. Just in case Duffy's along with you guys.
Now this is great news...hopefully I'll make it this year.:razz: Teddy and i can accidently fall it a time or two:)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts