Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want install a satellite radio dock in my 2007 SC. I want the install to be clean with an absolute minimum of wires visible. I also want the satellite radio to be down away from my field of vision, the display is very bright at night and it is distracting. I have found in another post how to directly wire another circuit for the radio, so I don't think that will be a problem. The issue I am having is trying to figure out the nuts and bolts of mounting it.

My preferred position would be on the center console forward of the drink holders. I think this would be ideal since it can be operated by either the driver or passenger and seen by both. It also seems that any wires that have to be run would be at their shortest from this distance.

My questions are:
1. What is the best way to get the audio output from the satellite radio to the radio in the car? I want to use the auxiliary jack and was thinking about snaking the cable through the console to the jack in the storage compartment and plugging in there.

2. Power, I think have this figured out, I found a few posts about adding a circuit to the car and it does not look very complicated. However, does anyone see possible issues with running wires to and from the location?

3. Mounting, I have done a lot of research on these forums, but most of the mounts used seem to be on either side of the radio. If I can mount the radio where I intend to I just want a simple mount that can be either glued or screwed to the console and allows the display to be tilted. Any suggestions?

Here is a picture of where I want to mount the satellite radio. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. Oh, and the radio in the car is the stock radio and I don't intend to change it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
there is nothing behind where you are wanting to screw the unit in so that wont be an issue. and i assume that if you are willing to screw into the panel that you would be ok with drilling a few small holes in it to conceal wires? that piece pops out of the console as do the others leading back to the aux jack and the cig plug in the console. pop the cup holder out, take out the 10 mm bold in the bottom and both pieces pop out. with that you are practically done.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here's how I did mine. I know its not how you're imagining yours but it may open you up to other ideas. I only have two wires running to this. One for power (see the pics for the hidden power outlet) and one for the antenna.

The radio has a built in FM modulator that I just play through the FM radio. This is the 4th car I've had this radio in and of the other three they were GREAT in sound quality. The E is only OK in quality using the FM modulator. I listen to mostly talk/news so I'm not too bothered by it.

The hidden outlet is covered by the fuse cover below the steering column.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GRNDHOG

That is my alternate location if the center console idea doesn't work out.

How hard is it to remove the trim from the center console to run wires? Do I need any special tools to do it? I do not want to end up with a busted piece of trim or any rattles and squeaks.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
the piece in front of the cup holder just pops out. after that the only tool you need is a 10mm nut driver or socket to pull the bolt out of the panel once the cupholder is removed and that panel just pops out too. you can literally take those panels out in under a minute

1 - 5 of 5 Posts