Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the VUE for a test drive before x-mass, I was leaning for toward that truck because it is in my price range, and it looks really sharp with the roof rack and front bar grill.

Has anyone in here driven both? if so how did you find the two?

One thing I can say about the VUE is that it is SMOOOOOOOOTH. It is feels like the road is not even there.

I have to agree that the ELEMENT is much better on Paper. And the style is growing on me.

I would like to hear anyones comments.

thanks

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
OK lemme see the Saturn overall rates BELOW even the Hyundai, We can get past that part, we can now continue (smiles).

Have you driven an Element yet? Talk about smooth, wow, and the steering "like butter" really the turning is amazing, better than my integra! That says alot when you are comparing a sporty car & a utility SUV!

Also, Honda's crash test rates blow other vehicles out of the water!

DING Round 2!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I drove the Vue before I test drove (and ordered) my Element. I chose the Element because its unique styling and features. I was looking for something that wasn't just another SUV.

That said, I must admit, the Vue definitely drove and handled better. I'm a huge fan and soon to be owner of an Element, but yeah, the Vue had a more refined feel.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
There are many reasons that the Saturn is a poor choice.. if it has a nice ride now that will not last, every saturn i have seen (and I know too many people with them.. DE/the State of MBNA bank) they all do the same thing they detiorate real fast.. so the feel youhave when testing it will not be the same a year from now not to mention a month from now.. they are GM, GM is just plagued with a bad (well earned bad) rep!

Again the crash tests are poor, though better than the Escape/Tribute (but that is saying sooo little those are horrible.. )

I just would not compare or contrast the Vue & Element. not the same league.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I too recommend the Element but I'm not here to be a cheerleader. I also agree that comparing the two isn't really realistic. They're pretty different.

As for quality, I just sold a 1994 Saturn with almost 300,000 miles on it. Great car.

I encourage you to research both heavily if you're on the bubble. And steer clear of people that are too pro-Vue, pro-Element or any other vehicle. Tough to get unbiased answers from those groups.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not had the fortune yet of driving a Element yet. My local dealer has already sold out.

that is why I started this string.

Right now I am leaning now toward the Element just because I like the Engine performance and the fuel economy.(ON PAPER)

also regarding the ELEMENT: I don't like how the two backdoors don't have power windows that roll down. that cracking window is kinda laime for the people that have to ride in the back. But that really does not matter because I am driving :lol:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I think it would be nice to have the power windows in the back, but the venting is nice too. I have had several people already who have ridden in the back and i think the amazing amount of space and leg room more than makes up for any window issue.

I love the comment from tigernumber6 about not listening to the PRO-Saturn or PRO ELement crowd, and I will admit fully that I Hate Saturn & GM, and I LOVE Honda & I am crazy about the Element.

The best bet is to drive both, read alot and make an educated opinion for your self. Hit Consumer reports, Consumer Guide, Edmunds, Car & Driver and all the good reviewing sites, books etc.

You said you cannot get one locally to drive, check a little further from where you are (not sure where you are, but there should be another dealer around) Hit your online yellow pages, email or call your dealers, or hit http://www.carsdirect.com/home you fill in some info and you can email all at once those who are near you, they will contact you and you can see if they have one to meet & greet personally.

I wish you good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is GOLD.

everyone on this site has been a great deal of help.

thank you.

PS, live in Ottawa Canada. Most of the Canadian Honda dealerships did not order alot of Elements. The one near my place only got in One and sold it in two hours.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
We had someone follow the first element onto the dealers lot and bought it then and there, so they only trickle in but when they come they are also gone!

Forgive my poor geography but Ottawa what US state are you near? if New York there is a dealer who is on this site who is awesome, and he is on the northern side of NY...

if not, you should be close to another state and it would be worth checking out. At least to meet & greet right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Closest USA City From Ottawa is most likely WATERTOWN NY (45min away), then if you keep going Syracuse.......... that is about 1:45 away.

I might be willing to test drive a car in the US, but never buy. Taxes are nuts when you cross the boarder.

And it would drive me NUTS to have a display in Imperial units. Miles/Galons, etc

I would need the Kilometers /per hour and Liters. Just because I am a METRIC kinda guy.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
you are soo making me laugh.. thank you and yeah i figuring on that not buying her but driving it is worth the asking to see if that would be possible.. worst they could say is no, right? (Oh and so my geography is not as bad as i thought cool)

you can hit the online yellow pages to find a honda dealer nearest you, in the US, contact them and do you have an element to test drive and i please test drive it.

my dealer (that I went with) was close to an hour away also.

anyhow when i did an online search here is the dealer i came up with:
Drum Honda
18375 US Route 11, Watertown, NY 13601
Phone: (315) 788-8200

this is the link i searched on, you can change the location by simply choosing "Change location"
http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypResults.py...&country=us&slt=43.974861&sln=-75.910583&cs=4

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've owned two Saturns (L1 and SW2) and I'm a big fan of both Saturn cars and my local dealer. And if Saturn still offered a small wagon I'd be tempted to get one to replace by SW2, but they don't. All they offer is the L-series wagon and the VUE, both of which cost more than a similarly equipped Element.

One friend of mine did trade an L-series wagon for a VUE, and loves it, but after test driving both cars I decided the Element was the better choice. It has more interior space, it has more headroom, it has a very reliable engine with a great track record, and it gets better milage. I think the Element handles a bit better, too.

The only thing that would keep me from getting an Element right now (I put a deposit on one due in about 3 weeks) is if someone told me that a hybrid Element would be available by June!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I took the VUE on two test drives. It does drive well. I was impressed with the pickup. Then, I went to the Saturn websites and saw where quality and fit-and-finish where problems.

I just had a Dodge and I wasn't interested in anything with quality issues. The whole Saturn line has had some quality problems as of late.

I talked with mechanics that had worked on both, and, in summary - I think if you keep vehicles a long time - Honda is the right choice. Honda will outlast the VUE...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It comes down to what do you need this vehicle for? The pros and cons of each do not matter. My dad tested both before buying the element. We both needed something that could replace our trucks. Passenger space was not important. The VUE and others like it there is not enough cargo space and you can't sleep in it. The element has great cargo space and decent passenger space. If you want the drive and luxury of a car but the look of a truck, the buy the VUE. If you want the practicality of a truck but the fuel economy of a car get element. The are two different animals

·
Registered
109 Posts
I own both of these cars in question, the Saturn Vue and the Element and I can tell you from experience that the Element is WAY better than the Vue for a lot of reasons. First of all, the E handles and rides better than the Vue, and my girlfriend who knows nothing about cars agrees with this. Second, the E has more room in the front and back seats HANDS DOWN! Anyone can argue this with me, but its no use, you won't convince an owner of both. THe Vue has Zero pickup when you hit the gas, it handles heavy and drives like a school bus as far as I am concerned. Needless to say, the E is mine, my girlfriend wanted the Vue, but now wants my E! NEVER!!!

8)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Great comments: boneheadz

I just received my Consumer Reports Auto Issue Saturday!! Here is CR's review of the Saturn Vue:

• Reliability is fair, satisfaction above average. MPG 18
    Excellent Crash test for the Drivers Side Front, as well as Both sides for side crash. Above average on Passenger Front Crash.
    ABS is optional, no stability control, side air bags are not offered. Price is $16325-22720

Saturn's first SUV has potential but feels 1/2 baked.
    Like other car derived SUVs the Vue has a unibody platform, offering a low step in higher 4wheel independent suspension & a ciivilixed ride.
    Handling is carlike & secure, but the steering is too light at low speeds. We found AWD system slow to respond; the front wheels spun noticable before the rear wheels engaged.
    The available V6 provides quick acceleration but is noisy. A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is offered but onky with the 4 cyl.
    Interior fit & finish are subpa, the front seats lack support, and the rear bench is too low.
    Crash test results are impressive.

Safety Assessment: Quick acceleration. Secure, forgiving handling. Good offset-crash results.

They do not have enough info on the Element to have it listed in the Safety Assessment or many other categories.. So we have to wait on that. But at least we can see what is happening in the rest of the SUV world.

Overall Ratings For Small SUVs (from best to worst)
What they weigh in these results is: performance, comfort, convenience, safety & fuel economy.
I placed a Smilie next to those that are recommended, that means they have at least an average satisfaction/reliability rating.
VERY GOOD:
  • :D Toyota Rave4(mpg: 22)
    :D Subaru Forester XS (mpg: 20)
    :D Pontiac Vibe AWD(mpg: 26) aka :D Toyota Matrix XR AWD (mpg: 24)
    :D Honda CRV ex (mpg: 21)
    :D Hyundai Santa Fe GLS v6 (mpg: 18 )
    Ford Escape XLT V6(mpg: 17)
GOOD:
  • Mazda Tribute XLT V6 (mpg: 18 ) (which is also the For Escape, but rated not as good)
    :D Saturn Vue V6 (mpg: 18 )
    Land Rover Freelander SE (mpg: 17)
    :D Suzuki XL7 (mpg:17)
    :D Jeep Libery Sport V6(mpg: 15)
FAIR:
  • Nissan Xterra SE V6(mpg: 15)

Here's The Reliability report..
Small SUVs in order from best to worst)
The BEST:
  • Honda CRV
    Subaru Forester
    Toyota Rav4
Above Average:
  • Hyundai Santa Fe
    Nissan Xterra
    Saturn Vue
    Pontiac Aztek
Below Average:
  • Jeep Liberty V6
    Chevy Tracker aka Suzuki Vitara XL7
The WORST:
  • Ford Escape V6 aka Mazda Tribute
    Jeep Wrangler

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
[quote:fe534a619f="PhillyElement"]I own both of these cars in question, the Saturn Vue and the Element and I can tell you from experience that the Element is WAY better than the Vue for a lot of reasons. First of all, the E handles and rides better than the Vue, and my girlfriend who knows nothing about cars agrees with this. Second, the E has more room in the front and back seats HANDS DOWN! Anyone can argue this with me, but its no use, you won't convince an owner of both. THe Vue has Zero pickup when you hit the gas, it handles heavy and drives like a school bus as far as I am concerned. Needless to say, the E is mine, my girlfriend wanted the Vue, but now wants my E! NEVER!!!

8)[/quote:fe534a619f]

Your experience is right on target to what Consumer Reports said (and I test drove it and noticed the same, especially how crampted it is)
Awesome to have someone with personal experience from owning them both, thank you so much!

And the Specs, are what you are feeling, it is smaller! (not to mention the mpg!)
Left is the Element, right is the Vue.
101.4 106.6 Wheelbase (in.)
62.1 61.0 Track Width Front (in.)
62.3 61.0 Track Width Rear (in.)
169.3 181.3 Length (in.)
71.5 71.6 Width (in.)
74.0 66.4 Height (in.)
6.9 8.0 Ground Clearance (in.)
105.4 100.0 Passenger Volume (cu. ft., mfr.)
77.1 63.8 Maximum Cargo Volume (cu. ft.)
43.3 40.4 Headroom (Front, in.)
39.4 40.3 Headroom (Second-Row, in.)
41.0 41.2 Legroom (Front, in.)
39.1 36.8 Legroom (Second-Row, in.)
57.1 55.4 Shoulder Room (Front, in.)
52.2 55.3 Shoulder Room (Second-Row, in.)
55.0 51.6 Hiproom (Front, in.)
47.6 52.7 Hiproom (Second-Row, in.)

The Element has a wider track both front and back.
More passenger room, more cargo room, more headroom, more legroom, more shoulder room, more hiproom, adn more standard toy capacity too!

also ABS brakes are standard and rear and front disc brakes are standard (rear drum and optional ABS on the Saturn).

Element has more fuel capacity and better fuel economy!

$20,850 $22,720 Base Price MSRP
$21,310 $23,295 Total Equipped Price
$460 $575 Destination Charge
56% 43% ALG Residual Value After 36 Months
43% 31% ALG Residual Value After 60 Months

Element is all less expensive, lower destiantion charge, holds more of its value too! Humm hard choice huh?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Just the facts Sir RML and nothing but the Facts.. smiles...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts