Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some issues trading in my 2007 SC 3 days ago. First, I was told that it wasn't a huge seller because people who bought elements bought them for the rubber floors and automatic transmissions. Those were the two things going against me. I had carpet (didn't know SC came without carpet) and had a manual transmission. I got 1/2 of what i paid. I was floored. Anyone else run into this problem trading?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Most car dealerships make a LOT of money on used cars. Every dealer's used car buyer will feed you whatever B*ll Sh#t he can make up, to con you with, to try and justify the lowest trade-in price possible. Money in their pocket. Always research and go in prepared to deal, and be prepared to walk if need be. When I traded in my MINI Cooper on my E, they offered half of it's value, with lots of lame excuses for the low-ball offer. I just pulled out printed copies of the Blue Book Trade in value, the Black Book Trade in value, the Edmunds trade in value, and the Manheim Auto Auction value (all of which showed a value of about $4 Grand more than they were offering). I topped it off with a written offer to "buy" from CarMax at a similar price. They came back and matched the CarMax offer - as even at that they knew they could make a tidy profit reselling it. But hey, if they can con you into giving it away...... Just go in realizing they are crooks, trying to steal your car, and deal accordingly. ;-)

·
Registered
523 Posts
You got played by a car salesman, end of story. Be prepared to battle, like MKH said, or be prepared to lose money. Hopefully the increased payment will be an incentive to not make that mistake again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just bought one and had trouble finding a MT in general and I wanted the SC; I just put in the rubber floor mats and they make a huge difference. Should have gotten a CRV if you were planning on selling it so quickly, their resale value is incredible. The SC isn't an everymans Element so its not going to pull in the average buyer like my parents (they have a 06 EX that they use as their "truck"). I choose the SC after driving the EX on the highway, the suspension was too loose and the car overall wasnt tight enough. Like the posters above pointed out, you never win trading in a car to begin with, its like the dealers are trying to make money or something....

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you have a little patience you can sell your car on your own. Places like Auto Trader & Car Soup, heck even e-bay have been great for private owners to get a fair price for their used cars.

I was thinking of trading in my Audi TT when I bought my SC and walked out after the joke price they offered to give me.

I put it on Auto Trader and sold it in 10 days for $4K more than the dealer offered.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Half? That's $12k for mine. You got raped pretty badly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah I think you got screwed, not gently, and with no condom on.

I knew going into my trade how much my car was worth, and they low balled me BAD. I fought and scratched and neg. like it was the last thing on earth i needed to do, and got them about 2K over what was initially offered, breaking even with KBB and other outlets that quoted me.

They talked about BLACK BOOK prices and I don't know where to get those prices. They told me that is what they quote from and where they deem the value at "auction".

Anyways, I would of went there with prices in-hand and show em your ready to rumble. Maybe in other states, they are more give then take, but here in CA, they just seem to take.

Should have gotten a CRV if you were planning on selling it so quickly, their resale value is incredible.
I agree with this totally. After a month, I lost about $1500 or so just by driving it off the lot. I dunno if this is alot or not, but I was willing to take the loss to get the E.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts