Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a roof rack on their SC by themselves? Got mine in the box at the dealer.

The feet on the rack don't go down into the recesses far enough for the rubber seals to make contact with the roof.

Looking at the H and A instructions, the rubber boots look identical. My part number ends with the number 100, while I see the instructions for the SC model roof rack from H and A end with 100B.

Anyone know if this is the difference and I have the wrong one?

Thanks,
~CC.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SC roof rack difference

Ok...so I figured out exactly why the rack doesn't fit, and yes a different part number obviously means the racks are not the same.

I took the opportunity to go by the nearest dealer today (while they were closed). The plastic cladding that runs fore and aft on the sides of the roof (where the Roof rack feet mount) is taller on the LX/EX models by about 3/8 of an inch. Hence the gap when trying to mount an EX/LX rack on an SC.

Roof Rack for 2007 Element is not specific enough. Please educate your parts guy! :) Well, at least in the rare occasion you buy from the dealer.

I'm sure the SC model benefits a great deal aerodynamically from this difference.
:razz: :razz:

Hope this helps. Long live H and A!
~CC.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,099 Posts
C-MONSTER said:
Ok...so I figured out exactly why the rack doesn't fit, and yes a different part number obviously means the racks are not the same.

I took the opportunity to go by the nearest dealer today (while they were closed). The plastic cladding that runs fore and aft on the sides of the roof (where the Roof rack feet mount) is taller on the LX/EX models by about 3/8 of an inch. Hence the gap when trying to mount an EX/LX rack on an SC.

Roof Rack for 2007 Element is not specific enough. Please educate your parts guy! :) Well, at least in the rare occasion you buy from the dealer.

I'm sure the SC model benefits a great deal aerodynamically from this difference.
:razz: :razz:

Hope this helps. Long live H and A!
~CC.

The preliminary info we got from Honda was that the racks for the LX EX and SC were all the same.I just got a PM from a customer i sold a rack to and it looks like he has the same problem.Now i know how to fix it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome!

Ya, my dealer gave me an awesome price for the rack with my newly purchased SC.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get the correct rack in. It really is all about the rack.

Happy to help!
And Long Live supportive dealerships too. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
SC roof rack install.

Just an FYI- On my SC I have a Yakima rack system and the rear mounts that are from Honda and attached to the chassis broke. The bracket is thin steel with 3 inserts that the 'tower' bolts down upon. The bracket is tack welded at either end and 'glued at two points in the middle of the bracket. The glue on mine broke loose and basically I could grab the outside of the rack/end of the cross bar and life it up 5mm off the roof.

Luckily the local Honda Dealer covered it under warranty. They riveted the bracket back down and use a mega high strength epoxy. All is good now!

·
Registered
39 Posts
OEM Roof Rack Question

Hey Everyone,

I picked up an OEM roof rack from Craigslist the other day from an '03 EX and wanted to install it on my '07 SC. Everything seems to fit properly except for the rubber skirts that's supposed to sit flush against the roof of the car. So, I went to the local dealership, along with a print out of the installation instructions, and wanted to order the skirts specifically for the SC. However, they said that the skirts were all the same and fit all models of the Element. I know this isn't the case. Anybody know where I can order the skirts for the SC or does anyone here have extra ones that I can purchase? Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm not completely sure because I haven't ordered them and tried them but the part number 08L02-SCV-100R3 seems to be the rubber skirts for the SC, as it is only listed on the SC roof rack parts catalog.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,099 Posts
I'm not completely sure because I haven't ordered them and tried them but the part number 08L02-SCV-100R3 seems to be the rubber skirts for the SC, as it is only listed on the SC roof rack parts catalog.

08L02-SCV-100R3 is the set you require.

The set for EX/LX is 08L02-SCV-100R1

·
Registered
39 Posts
After some convincing the dealer that the rubber boots for the SC are totally different, they were finally able to order the correct ones. Installation was a breeze. The only trouble I had was actually installing the rubber boots on the racks themselves due to the little rubber "buttons" that you need to push through the hole in the racks. Here's a pic of the OEM racks with my cargo basket.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Could you post some closer pics of the boots and maybe how the rack actually attaches to the roof? I'm thinking about making one, just not quite sure how everything goes together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SC Roof Rack Install - Thank you!

This thread was so helpful. I bought a stock rack thru craigslist and had the same issues of it not fitting properly on my '08 SC. After reading thru the thread, I was able to find part 08L02-SCV-100R3 for roughly $22. Just installed the rack and it looks great!

Thank you for posting!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good to know I can just buy any rack from any Element and also buy part number 08L02-SCV-100R3Â*that cost about $20 and it'll fit my sc. Great info to know. I'm buying both as we speak. Thanks EO forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good to know I can just buy any rack from any Element and also buy part number 08L02-SCV-100R3Â*that cost about $20 and it'll fit my sc. Great info to know. I'm buying both as we speak. Thanks EO club.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts