Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
I drove a new Element SC yesterday and loved it. However, the speedo was 3 mph off because of the 18" wheels. The Honda dealer did not know if this could be corrected.:?

Actually being an SC has nothing to do with the speedo being off. The overall diameter of the tires is the same for both the SC and LX/EX models. The speedo is off 3% due to it being a typical Honda. Honda speedos are normally off anywhere from 2-5%.

There was even a class action suit for just this issue. There isn't a fix other than changing tire sizes.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
It's not just Honda. Car & Driver did a test a few years ago with all the cars in their stable (I think it was ~12) and found that none of them had an accurate speedometer. They all showed a higher speed than actual and the worst was a BMW 540.:shock:

Every car I've owned over the last 45 years has had an optimistic speedometer.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I drove a new Element SC yesterday and loved it. However, the speedo was 3 mph off because of the 18" wheels. The Honda dealer did not know if this could be corrected.:?
FYI, the SC comes from the factory with 18" rims.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Ours has read 3 mph faster than it is actually traveling since new. We consider it a good thing----it helps to avoid that undesirable attention from speed enforcement officers.
But does it also mean that when your 60,000 mile warranty runs out, you really had another 3,000 miles of coverage coming?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts