Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have searched the forums and haven't found anything that covers my question.
Now, I am coming from owning an 05 2wd EX and now I own an 07 2wd SC... The ride on my 05 EX was rather smoother than the SC. I was wondering if anyone has done any changes to the suspension on their SC to make it smoother. It feels like I'm driving in my old RX7.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
SC suspension has shorter Springs and stiffer Struts
maybe trade with some who has a low mile Ex

SC also has 18" Ex has 16" or 17" wheels

GL

post a WTT suspension your SC for their Ex

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I would not trade imo, you would void your warranty for 1 thing and look very wierd having a raised up SC. I recommend getting a better tire. The stock badyears are too stiff, look into others, go to tirerack and search 225/55/18 or 235/55/18 and read the reviews, pick a better tire. My 20's ride better the the stock sc 18" badyears.
Later
Steve

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would not trade imo, you would void your warranty for 1 thing and look very wierd having a raised up SC. I recommend getting a better tire. The stock badyears are too stiff, look into others, go to tirerack and search 225/55/18 or 235/55/18 and read the reviews, pick a better tire. My 20's ride better the the stock sc 18" badyears.
Later
Steve
Thanks insane... I will check into better tires... I hate that rough ride... It's almost enough for me to sell it...but I won't

·
Registered
562 Posts
change the tires. it helps a lot. the spring rate is higher but the dampers are the same as the the ex. both made by kyb. supposedly the kyb gr2 is 10 to 15% higher dampening which might alleviate some of the rough ride. otherwise you are having the same effect straight from the factory that people deal with when they put on eibachs with the stock shocks. The Spring is slightly over powering the damper valving which in turn causes them to wear out prematurely or just under perform.

Oh and stay with 225 if you plan on lowering it. the 235's will rub.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just purchased my first Element, an '07 SC and have noticed the same issues with the ride. I was wondering what would happen to the ride if I put the OEM 16" wheels and tires on it. Would they fit? Would they improve the ride?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I just purchased my first Element, an '07 SC and have noticed the same issues with the ride. I was wondering what would happen to the ride if I put the OEM 16" wheels and tires on it. Would they fit? Would they improve the ride?
im sure you could find some people interested in trading you straight up on here. they should fit fine although it personally wouldnt do it. ;-)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Its the same suspension sans springs. If you are serious aobut trying it I have some EX front springs that will fit. Just pay shipping and they are yours. You could easily find the rear springs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's more than just a tire issue. The SC's suspension is 30% stiffer than that of the other E's on the market.

I'm with you on the way it handles bumps at times, which is a spring / shock issue (assuming tires pressures are correct). In the future I may consider a high quality shock like Bilstein HD's or Sports. The KYB GR2's aren't bad, but you kinda get what you pay for and as a current user of both on my other vehicles for the last 20yrs, I can tell you Bilstein has no equal.

PS: Bilstein HD's are usually not for cars lowered more than 1", so Sports are needed if you are lowering it more.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Bilstein does not make any products for the element. Kyb and Monroe are it besides oe replacement.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Keep dreaming, I all ready called them all (including bilstein).....not enough units sold per year for them to care. Koni, Tokico, Bilstein they all say not in plan for the foreseeable future. Honda has the ep3 civic and dc5 rsx and the element all share the basic suspensions with just enough differences to make them seperate entities which keeps aftermarket companies from trying to compete. Along with model year changes midstream as well. Better off just getting the tein or ksport coilovers and be done with it. Or you could get the kyb gr2 full set which is finally going to exist and get springs from a 2003-2006 element otherwise for the SC you have very few options. mostly coilovers and kyb gr2 for rear only as one front spring is wound opposite from 2007 on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
EX springs on an SC anyone?

Ok, reviving a semi-old thread. I've have had an '07 SC a few months now and it is great. Apart from the road noise, which I plan on fixing soon, I am tiring of feeling every crack in the pavement, whether it is body rocking or not. I bought some new Yokohamas, and they were a semi-mild improvement, but not exactly what I am looking for. The wife and I are expecting a baby and drive some non-to-smooth country roads on occasion. Not only would I like my head not to be bouncing like I'm going out of style, but same for the young one...and the wifey too of course.

So I have seen some discussion here, and it sounds like the springs are the only difference between the SC and an EX? Or is it a strut issue too? Would swapping only the springs over cause any issues? I'm kind of an amatuer mechanic(read:can do simple stuff, but have no spendy tools to do any real mechanical work), so I am wondering if it is a serious job or not. I know there will be some sacrifice in corning ability, but that type of driving can be consolidated to the MR2. I'm not sure why, but the EX and LX interior styles weren't doing it for me, so I went with the SC.

Any thoughts...? Thanks. :-D

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Go drive a used ex or lx with the same miles, its the same thing. My wife and I almost bought her a 08' ex, she hated the ride compared to my sc, and she hates stiff rides.
Later
Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts