Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference in the actual makeup of the SC taillights over the others? I know they have a different part number and they have a "tint" or whatever you want to call it, but is the shape and fitment any different over the normal element? I am looking to hack up some taillights and do some LED lighting in them butdont want to distroy my SC ones and not have a backup pair. Thanks for any info

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Is there a difference in the actual makeup of the SC taillights over the others? I know they have a different part number and they have a "tint" or whatever you want to call it, but is the shape and fitment any different over the normal element? I am looking to hack up some taillights and do some LED lighting in them butdont want to distroy my SC ones and not have a backup pair. Thanks for any info

All 2003-2007 tail lamps are the same shape. The difference is only the tint.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Just do it to your stock pair like I did. It was nerve-racking since I was braving the unknown, but I can do it in 10 mins per side now easily.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked on ebay and no sets right now.

I am not sure what exactly you did with yours, if you bought the led modules and put them in or made them. My plan is to make the led boards since i just got 500 red leds, 100 amber leds, and several sizes of circuit board. what size resistors (wattage) did you have to used to dim the tail down when you did it and how many leds are in each one?

I am also thinking about adding relays in there to make the main taillight do the function of the turn signal as well, not sure yet.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I looked on ebay and no sets right now.

I am not sure what exactly you did with yours, if you bought the led modules and put them in or made them. My plan is to make the led boards since i just got 500 red leds, 100 amber leds, and several sizes of circuit board. what size resistors (wattage) did you have to used to dim the tail down when you did it and how many leds are in each one?

I am also thinking about adding relays in there to make the main taillight do the function of the turn signal as well, not sure yet.
I used ASL 4" pucks (pre-made). Cut the wiring connector off and solder a 3A 50w diode on one side (not both--it won't work if you do) to the black wire (running light). Then cut the stock bulb off and wire it up to verify. Black on puck goes to red on the stock, then white to black and red to green, respectively.

To make the hole in the back of the lens, I used a 4" hole saw and lined it to the center of the bulb hole and drilled away. I pushed the reflector towards the front of the light, and they break when you pull them out the 4" hole. I then cleaned up all the dust that fell inside and silicone-caulked the puck in. Works and looks like stock.

I'm a member on HIDplanet.com where they do a lot of LED tail retros, and this is 100x easier and probably brighter than most of their installs. Each LED in this puck has it's own reflector bowl, whereas hand made LED setups on board don't.

The pucks:
http://www.buytruckstuff.com/product.asp?selcategory=2&p_gpID=82

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did you ever get the taillight brightness to drop like you wanted? You could just add a couple more diodes in series till you are at the brightness you want on the taillight wire. each diode drops the forward biased voltage .7 volts. we used to do this on the keyless go system remotes when doing remote starts in the newer lexus and nissan type systems until dei came out with the 1101t to mimick the battery voltage that was normally in the remote.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
did you ever get the taillight brightness to drop like you wanted? You could just add a couple more diodes in series till you are at the brightness you want on the taillight wire. each diode drops the forward biased voltage .7 volts. we used to do this on the keyless go system remotes when doing remote starts in the newer lexus and nissan type systems until dei came out with the 1101t to mimick the battery voltage that was normally in the remote.
Yes. It was the 50W diode that dropped it to the perfect output. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts