Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo

I just installed a curt class 1 trailer from etrailer.

Here are some pictures.
The only thing that took a little time was enlarging the access hole and fishing the bolt thru.

The people at etrailer know their stuff

Thx

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very interesting! Thank you very much for posting this.

Which hitch from etrailer did you purchase and install? Can you post a link? There are multiple brands...

Any other suggestions? Did you remove the bumper for install? Any tips you would suggest if you had to do it again?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
^^^it says a curt, so i an guessing a curt industries, nice hitch by the way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rob

I used the ones with the Dixie Flag on them :lol:

(The one they recommended on their site)

Everything snapped in place.

u1-2go

·
Registered
163 Posts
Trailer Hitch Wiring

I used the one they recommended on their site. Everything snapped in place.

u1-2go
I presume you mean the one in this photo. How is this different than the genuine Honda wiring? The Honda assembly passes the wire through a grommet and hole to get out of the spare tire well. Do you have to drape your wires over the tailgate? Other installation instructions I have seen involve running a connector from under the driver's seat to the dashboard. How did your unit avoid that? I read the instructions on the web page and it only mentions plugging in the converter box under the dashboard.

My Curt hitch has been ordered through U-Haul and they will install it (I'm on the road on business away from my shop). If this wiring is easy to do, I am capable of doing that myself. An alternative would be to get the genuine Honda wiring from H And A Accessories and pay a local dealer (four Honda dealers in Jacksonville) to install it.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Trailer Hitch Wiring Update

This is the plan:

I checked with the Honda dealer listed on the EOC website (there are four in Jacksonville but only one is listed... the best of the four in my opinion). They will install the wiring harness that I provide for ~$150 labour. I ordered the harness from H And A this morning. After wiring installation, U-Haul will install a their Curt Industries class 1 hitch. $160 for the hitch, $ more for the ball and additional parts, labour unknown at this point but I estimate under $50.

As I'm on the road away from home and tools, I'd rather pay folks who do this for a living than attempt it myself.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Trailer Hitch Epilogue

I spent the day this past Saturday having the components installed on my Element SC. The big item was the $310 the Honda dealer charged for the labour to install the trailer wiring (after a previous estimate of $150). I had other modifications installed (high tone horn, mud flaps, rear view mirror) while there. Afterwards headed to U-Haul for the installation of the Curt Industries Class 1 hitch. Took less than an hour for that since the installer was quite experienced. After buying a draw bar, ball and bar lock I was on the road again. I did not have the time, tools or temperment to do any of this stuff myself. Now I know has been done correctly and can turn my attention to other issues, such as my declining fuel mileage. Tires are now at 40psi to help improve rolling resistance.

The girls think my hitch installation is way cool. Within a few weeks I'll be towing one of my BMW motorcycles to Jacksonville so that I'll have something to ride with my fellow BMW owners. Yipee!

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Robert,

What kind of trailer are you going to put the BMW's on? I use a Kendon to tow my R1200GS, but it's a little tough to load with one person.

Jerry

·
Registered
163 Posts
Trailer To Tow My BMWs

Jerry,

I don't plan to buy a trailer for a while. I have had many fellow BMW owners offer the use of theirs. One ribbed me about the money I have spent for the hitch and wiring that I will use two or three times at the most. I would rather have a hitch and not need it than need one and not have it.

When I do buy a trailer, I might look at one designed for lawn utility. I have a lawn tractor which needs an occasional ride to the shop. That would give me a stable floor upon which to load a BMW by myself.

This BMW gets the first ride. It needs a clutch and battery and other small items from my preferred dealer in Atlanta.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts