Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my E into a local Discount Tire to get a nagging leak in the driver's side front tire fixed. I thought I picked-up a nail or something simple, but the tech showed me my wheel in the dunk tank and it was leaking small amounts of air around the entire face of the wheel. He explained that aluminum wheels tend to corrode causing the tire bead to no seal properly. They were able to remove the tire and grind the corrosion off the inner lip of the wheel, however, he said the problem will undoubtably persist and suggested I replace all four wheels!

The wheel they fixed seems to be holding air (if not losing it very slowly), however the three others are beginning to run flat now too. These are stock SC wheels and tires and this is the first I've heard of the problem. I live in Michigan so they're exposed to cold, moisture and salt (especially at this time of year). Anyone else heard of and/or experienced this problem? If so, what's the recommended way of taking care of the problem? Grinding the other 3 wheels in an option, I guess.

Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I live in Ohio, so I know what your going through, my stock SC wheels were replaced under warranty after the first 5k miles because they were corroding, honda sucks at protecting their wheels, everyone with a honda around here has corroded wheels after the first winter, kinda pisses me off, same as the crappy brakes on these things, and my service guy said honda does not engineer their cars for areas with winter months that use salt and or cynder.
I love my element, but this will probably be the last Honda I buy unless they pick up their game.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
It's a common problem here in the northeast as well. I have seen this on several brands of cars, not just Honda. In fact, I have had this happen on an expensive set of Crager Wheels. The soulition is to remove the tires, grind off the corrosion, then paint with an aluminum paint. That will stop it for several years. I have done the bead area on my 06, with paint, when the tires got changed. The wifes 05 has not been done at all, yet. Mine were not showing any signs of pitting, but having had trouble in the past, ( and having a tire shop that humors me, allowing my antics, and being willing to wait for paint to dry ) I did them.

When I paint the inside of the rim I do the entire inside surface. Often wheels will go pours in another region of the rim as well. I finish the inside with a clear coat, High gloss ! High gloss is harder than a satin finish. I know people are laughing at high Gloss that's going to be inside the tire!

But it works.

Dom

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have seen it on other cars too, but not within a year of buying it. Keep ur wheels waxed too.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Had it happen on my wife's Subaru. I had one that would go down a few pounds fairly quickly, so I mentioned it when getting new tires. The tire shop guy said he sees it all the time. He used a wire wheel on a grinder to clean 'em up and then brushed on a black colored goo that the tire guy said was similar to "Plasti Dip " (the stuff for tool handles). That was 3 years ago (on an '03) and no problems since....so far so good.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Had it happen on my wife's Subaru. I had one that would go down a few pounds fairly quickly, so I mentioned it when getting new tires. The tire shop guy said he sees it all the time. He used a wire wheel on a grinder to clean 'em up and then brushed on a black colored goo that the tire guy said was similar to "Plasti Dip " (the stuff for tool handles). That was 3 years ago (on an '03) and no problems since....so far so good.
I have been wanting to try a coat of Bedliner on them. It's my new answer to all sorts of anti corrosion needs. I just haven't had the ball$ yet.

I have no Idea how it may effect balance. I know a small variation in paint thickness is no biggie. But Plastic may be another story ..

Dom

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I have no Idea how it may effect balance. I know a small variation in paint thickness is no biggie. But Plastic may be another story ..
Yeah. In my case it was just a bit, done with a foam brush to the bead area only. Doing the whole inside of the rim might cause a bit more trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts