Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this little gem for sale at one of my favorite websites

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8426/

How about that for a schweet little add-on for the ****pit. I was used to having a display similar to this in my Grand Cherokee. It had a nice trip computer which showed items like fuel economy as well as gauges for voltage, oil pressure and stuff like that. As much as I like my E, I'm always wanting more information about what's going on under the hood. That little temp gague just doesn't cut it for me.

If I end up getting one of these guys I will be sure to post pics and opinions. The compulsive bargain shopper in me just needs to check around for better prices first ;-)

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Nice find. So it's powered by and gets all its data from the OBD-II port? Since it probably can't sense what gear the tranny is in, I assume it estimates engine load and MPG from manifold pressure?

I soooo want one.

PDF SGII manual at the ScanGauge Web site.

The ScanGauge site sells direct but for the same price as ThinkGeek. Guess $170 is MSRP.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
let us know if you get one and how well it works!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
OMG I want one of those so bad! One of my few complaints about the E is that it does not have a trip computer like some of the other newer cars that I have seen. I really might need to get one, especially if it can be taken out of one car and plugged directly into another without any reprogramming or anything.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Welllllllll... it will probably not give you MPG with the E, or if it does, it will be a wild guess at best. Many carmakers put "extra" information in the OBD-II data stream which can be used to derive MPG, but Honda isn't one of 'em - we just have the minimum data points required by the EPA.

:-(

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
MikeQBF said:
Welllllllll... it will probably not give you MPG with the E, or if it does, it will be a wild guess at best. Many carmakers put "extra" information in the OBD-II data stream which can be used to derive MPG, but Honda isn't one of 'em - we just have the minimum data points required by the EPA.

oh, well that sucks. I only want one if it is going to give me accurate info. :-|

·
Chief Has Been Element Owner
4,759 Posts
MikeQBF said:

Maybe just the E...cause it's in my Accord ;-)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have little knowledge of my engine and was wondering where this is located >>>OBD-II port<<<. If it is an easy installation I just may have to order one!

EDIT: Never mind. I just saw the price I miss-read earlier. I will have to pass.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
lwclancers said:
Maybe just the E...cause it's in my Accord ;-)
Your hybrid doesn't count because the MPG readout is a marketing feature. It has nothing (or little) to do with the data that's available through the OBD port.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dh would love this in my E!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had the ScanGuage I for quite some time now. It predates my E. I am thinking of putting a velcro mount in the cubby by the stearing wheel. I also use it to read codes off of my older cars. That way I can fix simple stuff like exhaust manifold O2 sensors myself.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
ramblerdan said:
Anyone know the location of the OBDII plug? I can't find it in the Service Manual.
Your right knee almost points at it when you're in the driver's seat, right of the fusebox and slightly towards you. It resembles a Centronics-type parallel printer connector, but in our E's it's facing downward which makes it a little hard to spot.

By law they're supposed to be easy to locate... :twisted:

·
Registered
717 Posts
ramblerdan said:
Thanks. I went ahead an ordered a ScanGaugeII.
Let us know how it works out.
It looks like it gives me all the information my Passat provides (built in / standard) plus a few more (error codes). Very useful stuff.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looks like my credit card is gonna get a little work. One of my very few complaints about my E is the lack of engine management info. What a neat idea, plugging into the OBDII jack!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Scan Guage

ramblerdan said:
Thanks. I went ahead an ordered a ScanGaugeII.
Now, why doesn't that surprise me!

Very cool, should be a nice edition to your already amazingly mod'd E

-Dan

(I'm thinking I may be next with the credit card out!)

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's been like a week. Has anyone install one of these yet? :cool:

·
Registered
98 Posts
MikeQBF said:
Anyone know of a list out there that shows what data is in the OBD-II data stream for the Element? Looks like the scan guage can a lot of different data, just wondering how much of it is available on the Element. Thx

1 - 20 of 109 Posts