Honda Element Owners Club banner
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got mine for $140 off ebay. I love it. Does anyone know when the external cable will be available? Last I saw it was suppose to come out in October of last year.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you check the compatibility list of this device, it does not list the Honda Element as being compatible. It does list the accord though. Does it work on the E?

·
Registered
97 Posts
MasterControlProgram said:
Boots - how's it working?
a previous poster said there weren't enough data points in the stream to get accurate MPG.

does your experience w/scangauge concur?
I really enjoy having it. I'm on my second fill up with it and it seems to be getting more and more accurate. Even if the MPG isn't 100% dead on, it still gives you an idea of your fuel mileage and how you can adjust your driving habits to maximize it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've got a scangauge II! I'm going to hook it up Friday Night

Hi,
I used to use this gadget in my Turbo VW last year. Trust me I needed it cause the engine light came on every month for something. Usually it was
the blow off valve, or an oxygen sensor. Then after hit the scancode reset on the scangauge and off goes the light. Well anyway I'm just looking for a good location for this. So far the best one I can find is on the drivers side left of the
steering wheel on the little shelf there. I'm probably just going to velcro it on.
I'll post pictures when done. Also to answer your questions.. yes you get MPG in realtime. It's not guessed it's calculated with fuel flow and distance traveled.
When you connect it to a vehicle you program the #cylinders, displacement, wheel size, fuel tank size, fuel type (gas, diesel, hybrid) stuff like that. When you fill up you go through the scangauage menu and select fuel tank fill up.
It was damn accurate, so much so that I wanted to see how high the MPG will go if I draft off a big rig. I also was able to see what fuel sucked. let's just say I'll never buy cumberland farms gas for my vehicle again ,it may be cheap but MPG is lower and you can see how far the computer adjusted the advance and fuel mix ratio.. either that or the super that I had to run in the turbo was ****.

This gauge is pretty cool. You can easily see you are having a problem before you actaully have one! Also it helps you modify your driving habits if
you want to maximize your MPG. I hardly use my brakes now because of what I learned. I only use them if I absolutely have to stop.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i've got a scanguage II, I'll post pics after install

I used to have this in my turbo vw. Trust me I needed to reset the engine light often after I did my own repair. Stinking blow off valve probs, I replaced with
Audi parts but that's another story.

I think the best place to locate this is the drivers side left of steering wheel
shelf on the dashboard. I'll snake up the cable and velco it in. It's gotta be like that because this device is also an engine code scanner, so I use it when I work on my friends cars.

The MPG calculation is accurate. When you connect it to a vehicle, you need to
run a setup. # cylinders, engine displacment , wheel size, fule type (yes even hybrid is included are all entered in. When you fill your fuel tank youn need to select "fuel tank fillup" in the menu. It was damn accurate on the vw. 26-29mpg. Anyway the vw got traded in.

OK. the gauge is cool, you get engine rpm, fuel flow rate, throttle position, engine advance, incoming air temp (handy for a turbo), engine temp, oil pressure, oil temp, air/fuel mix rate, realtime MPG, and more!

I didn't really install it since I didn't see an ideal location, until now.
So I'll buy some velcro and set it up, I'll post pics when done

·
Registered
219 Posts
scanner install

I've had mine for several months now. Originally I had it sitting on top of the steering column, but it was too much of a distraction. I moved it down to just above the subwoofer (see pic). I drilled a hole in the console and plugged the wire into the port on the back of the scanner. It was pretty easy. I figure that if I ever get rid of the scanner, I'll just buy one of those black plugs to cover the hole.

Vehicle Car Audio equipment Auto part Vehicle audio

I just looked back a couple of pages and saw that jimtesla has a pic of his mounted in the exact same location! You know what they say about great ideas and dirty feet.......they always come in pairs!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also had the jeep grand chrokee and im gunna miss that digital read out that is already build into the car. This looks like a nice add on tho. Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
What OBD info can Scanguage show on an E?

I've seen a comment that Honda doesn't send many parameters to the OBD. What OBD info can Scanguage show on a 2003 E?

I want to use the Scanguage instant MPG to train myself to drive more efficiently but I'd also like to see the auto transmission fluid temperature, oil pressure... there's probably other params I can't think of that would be good to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Yeah it doesn't show much. Instantaneous MPG is also not completely accurate and is based on throttle body position vs. engine speed. It's not completely off though and does come in handy to get a ballpark estimate. Personally I have voltage, air intake temp, manifold air pressure, and instantaneous MPG.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Scanguage Install

Here is my install. I decided to mount above the instrument cluster so I could better see MPH (like on our '06 Civic). For me, the steering wheel on the E obstructs the speedo, so mounting the SG above (but close enough to reach the buttons) is ideal. I fabbed a leather-covered enclosure to pretty it up, but still need to work on the cabling. Any suggestions?

Jimbos

Attachments

61 - 80 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.