Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I test drove an 06 yesterday and really liked it. There is a buzzing coming from the air vents, and the dealer said he'd fix that. BUT there is also another noise, like a scraping when I was driving...it changed with speed but did not seem linked to acceleration/engine. More like wheel rotation. The dealer said its from the brakes since the car hasn't been driven in a while. He's had it on the lot since late 2018. Which is suspicious I know. I think he drove it for a while as he is driving another E now. It's in good shape otherwise, lower miles, interior is relatively good, engine looks like its been maintained.

But I don't know...Anyway. Take a look/listen if you have time. I am debating sending an inspector to look at it but thought I'd try here first in case it saves me the $$$

The first sound in the video is the fan.
The second sound, when I aim the camera outside, is the scraping one (being bounced back by the parked cars). (I can't figure out how to attach a video here so uploaded it to youtube.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,007 Posts
As best as I can hear it on your video, I would agree: Start with an inspection of the brakes. When well worn, brakes can and do cause a grinding noise like that.

And make sure to remove the rear rotors and inspect the parking brake shoes; especially if it has a manual trans (with parking brakes generally used more and worn more with a manual trans).

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts