Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my car is about a little over a month old and I noticed I have alot of scratches around my ignition. Anyone have any techniques on hiding it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry, but this is only the beginning of the scratching problem. We all have taken note of the very soft and easily damaged materials used in our Elements. Just "grin and bear it" even though it is not right. American Honda and their dealers appear to be subscribing to this position anf seems to be that. :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
[quote:b9f97730a4="Stephen Dax"]Hey my car is about a little over a month old and I noticed I have alot of scratches around my ignition. Anyone have any techniques on hiding it?[/quote:b9f97730a4]

Start hitting the keyhole. My older car is all scratched in that area too. But now I put the key in more carefully in my Element and so far no scratches at 3k miles.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Sorry, but this is only the beginning of the scratching problem. We all have taken note of the very soft and easily damaged materials used in our Elements. Just "grin and bear it" even though it is not right. American Honda and their dealers appear to be subscribing to this position anf seems to be that.
I have to say the with a dog, sometimes two, and two mountain bikes I have no noticible scratches and I don't put booties on the dogs or the bikes. I do have scratches around the key area though same as every truck I have owned. the Ford Exploder I rented this weekend (See my Page) had a nice rubber cover around the ignition. I may make something like that for mine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
:( i dont have any yet but every car i have ever seen over 1 yr old has dem i do like how it lights up alittle around the key ring nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i baby my element and still have unexpected scratches... i even have a scratch on the left rear window...

so far.....

broken air vent.....
broken rear bumper cover...

both of these were found before driving the vehicle off the lot...

currrent issue:
cruise control only works half the time...

i haven't even made the first payment...

if anything else goes wrong... i will paint "lemon" all over it and park it in front of the dealer...

cass

·
Registered
91 Posts
[quote:0c4a64101b="denru"]Sorry, but this is only the beginning of the scratching problem. We all have taken note of the very soft and easily damaged materials used in our Elements. Just "grin and bear it" even though it is not right. American Honda and their dealers appear to be subscribing to this position anf seems to be that. :([/quote:0c4a64101b]

Don't take the key out in the first place.. Oh sorry just noticed you live in brooklyn :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
We've had our E for 2 weeks and so far there are:

* Scratches around the ignition (to be somewhat expected, although unwanted)
* A front air vent that is broken (taking it to the dealer tomorrow to discuss it)
* A big deep scratch on the front console (in the middle above the air vents)

The ease at which the E scratches is disappointing, especially given that it was purchased to be used (we've been hauling stuff to the dump and from Home Depot) and not just "to look pretty". If I wanted pretty, I would have bought the CRV (not really useful in my opinion).

Cheers, Derek

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:07407d0eec=" "]We've had our E for 2 weeks and so far there are:

* Scratches around the ignition (to be somewhat expected, although unwanted)
* A front air vent that is broken (taking it to the dealer tomorrow to discuss it)
* A big deep scratch on the front console (in the middle above the air vents)

The ease at which the E scratches is disappointing, especially given that it was purchased to be used (we've been hauling stuff to the dump and from Home Depot) and not just "to look pretty". If I wanted pretty, I would have bought the CRV (not really useful in my opinion).

Cheers, Derek[/quote:07407d0eec]

I can attest to the ignition area scratches. That seems, to me, to be a bad design. Luckily, since the interior *is* all plastic, and honda's trim piece replacement costs (if you buy and replace the parts yourself) are reasonable, I'm not too worried about this. Keep in mind if they ever give you trouble about that on a trade-in too: it's not going to cost them much to correct it.

The vent problem might be a defect, I haven't seen *anyone* post about that before, except in this thread, and it was broken before it left the lot.

The deep gouge: that's unfortunate. I keep one of those grippy pads up there for my cell phone, which has the effect of protecting the center of that area. I suggest doing something similar yourself, esp. if you're going to put thing up there!

I'm glad I did, since I found myself putting all sorts of scratchy metal things up there when I was upgrading the stereo...

-brendan

·
Registered
98 Posts
[quote:83590a7660=" "]i baby my element and still have unexpected scratches... i even have a scratch on the left rear window...

so far.....

broken air vent.....
broken rear bumper cover...

both of these were found before driving the vehicle off the lot...

currrent issue:
cruise control only works half the time...

i haven't even made the first payment...

if anything else goes wrong... i will paint "lemon" all over it and park it in front of the dealer...

cass[/quote:83590a7660]

Why baby it? It's yours to use, and it's not like it's a Bentley. . .it's just *gasp* an Element. Use it. Scratch it. Get your money's worth. Enjoy it. Don't live in fear that you're going to scratch it or get it dirty.

I've got scratches around the ignition, but I barely notice, and I doubt if anyone else would notice or care. I plan on keeping my element for a loooong time and I'm not worried about its resale or trade-in value. I'll either drive it into the ground or give it to my 5 yr old boy when he's old enough to drive it (most likely the latter).

I'm not trying to be critical, I just wonder why anyone (not just you, others have posted similar sentiments) would buy what is perhaps the most utilitarian vehicle on the market and then value a showroom-like appearance over functionality.

Like someone else in this thread posted, I've been loading and unloading bikes, dog crates, christmas trees and firewood from my E and, aside from being a little dirty (full of needles and a bit of sap at the moment), mine looks fine.

It's a tool, not a jewel. Use it.

BTW, how is it that your cruise control only works "half the time"? Can you elaborate a bit?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have yet to see a car without scratches around the ignition.
As for the rest of trim, we don't have any scratches yet. But get a grip, you bought a plastic vehicle! If that was wood trim scratching, I'd see your point!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've never seen interior plastic scratch as easily as it does in the Element.

I understand people's point when they say "the E is to be used, not babied". My point is that Honda should use a different material for the interior for this very purpose.

Like others, I intend to have the E for a good 15 years. Our Accord was 13/14 years old and only "died" because of an accident. As such, I don't want the interior looking like a war zone!

Cheers, Derek

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yep. I have the same scratches. I too am very disappointed in the quality of the interior materials. This is my biggest complaint about the vehicle. It was marketed as a vehicle that could handle a rough lifestyle, but in reality, it doesn't live up to that promise. That being said, I just passed 1000 mi and I have to say that I do love the vehicle. If it holds up mechanically for years to come, I will adjust to my disapppintment regarding the interior materials.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree that the plastic is very easy to scratch compared to the plastics in my other cars. I hate to say it, but it seems to be the next step in Honda progess, first they start using metals that dent if you breath on them, why not use plastic that scratches if you touch it. I'm just wondering if someone is going to make urathane skins for certain interior trim panels in the E (especially the footwell pieces).

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have to admit i've noticed scraches around the key hole too, but....I have to agree with Stick here.
(excuse the rant)
This is a AUTOMOBILE!...(don't get me wrong a very wonderful one since i love mine) But its not a Tank, its not a Psudo-military troop transprot. Its a Car. It is for a "rugged" lifestyle, I would love to go to a website for another SUV and read the complaints about how hard it is to get the mud our of the Velour seat, or the deep shag carpet. Oh and how thier dogs messed up the leather arm rests. We are talking about a car here, not someone's living room furnature.

The element is a step in the right direction for people that want a nice utilitary car....its not perfect, but its a One Hella of a good start!

I want some of you to seriously think about something.

When you see a Mountain bike that has no dirt and no scraches in the paint dont you think "THATS not being used!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did anyone ever consider putting Armor-all on their scratches around their keyholes :!: :?: .?.. I mean, I noticed scratches after a few days but after that I was careful to put the key IN THE HOLE! :x not stab around for 1/2 an hour trying to find the key hole.. Look before you stab.. that's all I can say. I mean the back is going to be scratched.... it's a car, it's going to recive wear and tear.. hell.. my wife dropped a lit cigarette on the urathane floors and it dident even leave a mark.. :shock: the only thing I've had a real complaint about wasn't even Honda's fault. My bitch was with Goodyear and not helping me out with a tire that didn't even have 1500 miles on it yet.. but that WILL be taken care of soon.. heheh..

4000 miles and still going strong :!: :twisted: Muahahah!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts