Honda Element Owners Club banner

Scratch Experience:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One main event discussion has been on (body composite) scratches**, what I would like to see is any actual count of people experiencing this issue..

Along with your posts, I would like to see you contact your Dealer & Honda about any issues you have, so they can be addressed & corrected, this is how improvements ARE made, not just by complaining but by complaining to the right people. It is excellent to make sure the community is away of problems or potential problems.. but lets try to gather and get them solved too! Collectively we can do this!

Any issues for Honda here is contact info:
CUSTOMER RELATIONS HONDA CONTACT INFO:

By Mail
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Mail Stop: 500 - 2N - 7D
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

By Fax
(310) 783-3023 (24 Hours)

By Phone
At our toll-free number: (800) 999-1009
For further assistance, feel free to contact Honda Automobile Customer Service. Our business hours are Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Honda Canada Customer Service
(888) 946-6329

Thank you all for your help!

Also in the discussion there was some confusion on the Honda claims for this vehicle. To clarify here is what was stated in the Honda Brochure:

"durable, scratch defying composite body panels."
"Lean a bike against the TOUGH TO HURT body panels"

This is referring to the plastic composite pieces of the Element, not to the Paint. There are NO claims that the Paint is scratch proof or resistant.

Now if there is a problem with the paint scratching easily we still should look at that and address it accordingly.

**Thank you ibutchman for your help, and assistance in an oversite of mine in regards to the paint vs composite.

I have shortened this poll, and add two more polls for the paint, and interior.. Thank you. 2-10-03

·
Registered
249 Posts
Lets remember this will be a drawn out poll since many people will not have owned the cars for very long.
So lets see really how this poll will be in the coming months.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i set no end date so we can watch the progress as time goes by and yep the numbers will change depending on how many E owners we have..

·
Registered
352 Posts
My E came with scratches on the exterior plastic panels. I polished them liquid mag polish and then used toothpaste (like the way my father polished aircraft canopies in WW2) and a toothbrush. The scratched were mostly gone but some residue from the mag polish was still imbedded the rough texture of the plastic. As soon as i can perfect my technique, I;ll post it.
Cheers,

·
Registered
249 Posts
Lon777, If your E did or did not have any scratches, please feel free to register with the POLL. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lon777: cool about the techinque and stuff, i would like to hear more about that.. whereyougot it what it is, etc.. in fact might be a good item to post on the washing forum we have... thank you again!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I used "Blue Magic Liquid Mag Polish" - you can get this stuff about anywhere (I got mine at Pep Boys). I also used plain ol colgate toothpaste and a well used toothbrush (because it's softer). Just put a little mag polish on soft cloth or paper towel and rub it in. Remove as much of the polish as possible with a damp cloth. Put a little toothpaste on the toothbrush and go over the same area that you applied the mag polish on. Rinse the toothbrush and scrub over the same again. To me, the scratches are gone if you look straight at them. However, if you look at an angle you see a slightly discolored area where you applied the polish. This is what I'm trying to work out. I think my next attempt will be to useDuPont "adhesive remover " and a toothbrush to get the last bit of mag polish out. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lon thank you again, and I will look for your next update on this how-to.. excellent!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ibutchman: there is a new DIY forum on the main message board page for these fixes and DIYs.. NEW!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Gypsy wrote:

One main event discussion has been on Paint scratchs, what I would like to see is any actual count of people experiencing this issue

The correct statement should say: Composite Fender Scratches

Not paint scratches, because their was no main discussion at all about anything to do with a sub standard paint job. The discussions had to do with the Composite material of the outer fenders.

Please read the posts more carefully.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Also, please let me remind you to visit the Forum "Exterior" on the message board and the subject: "scratches".

This will help explain why we're having this Poll.
Thank You.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ibutchman: thank you but some people had mentioned in that discussion that they had tested the paint with their finger nails to see if they would scratch.. this is why I am specifying and clarifying.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If your talking about "scratches" in the "Exterior Forum," the common thread of the conversations pertained to the Composite Material. I don't recall anything being said about scratches in paint. You also say paint is a "main event discussion" The paint finish was not the main issue.
I think it does that subject and us a disservice when this happens.
Go back and read the entire subject: "scratches" and you'll find you did not take the time to digest the entire matter.
Gypsy, You say your opinionated. But as a Moderator I think its your dutie to reread and concentrate on the subject being discussed instead of rushing out an opinion.
Gypsy as you said in the previous post:

"this is why I am specifying and clarifying."

If you wanted to clarify the matter you would edit the Polls first sentence to say:
"One main event discussion has been on Composite Fender scratchs, what I would like to see is any actual count of people experiencing this issue..".

That would have been closer to the truth in regards to the subject matter.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ibutchman: my apologies, i have been ill & disoriented lately and it was an oversite on my part, I have corrected my statement & noted you for your help. Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Gypsy, My apologies as well.

If I sound too strong on this subject its because of my love for this Quirky Wonderful car. We are now finding spare tire covers cracking, and the scratches on the fenders of some of the owners. I just want the future models to be even better designed. And they can be.

I know this is a Honda and the overall quality is Superb. Theres no doubt about that. And when I get mine, rest assured I will be blabbing about all the great things I love about the EL.

Thanks.....Butch

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Butch: no problem, I apologize.. and I love this vehicle sooo much, I really do.. but I also have confidence if we find problems and alert Honda to them they will be taken care of effectively.. so again I appreciate your help & everyone here in making this the most awesome vehicle ever!

I will be faxing a letter to Honda, and my dealer about these (minor) problems, and hopefully we will all see those issues being remedied!

:D

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
szacherau: I will do, give me a moment.. Thank you!

2-10-03 I have UPDATED THIS POLL... I added a seperate poll for the interior and another for the exterior paint.. if you have already voted on those topics, please visit those polls and recast your votes, sorry for the trouble.. and thank you for your patience!

·
Registered
67 Posts
no scratchs yet, but i have only it a month. then again it has been covered with almost every day since i bought it. lets see how they hold up this summer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts