Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new member here in Seattle. Hope you all are well!

I have a 2007 Element SC 2WD AT. I've owned this Element since new and luckily enough never had any issues. It has a little over 90K miles on it.

So here is the problem I am facing. About 2 days ago I was driving and all of a sudden heard this terrible screeching noise coming from the driver side rear wheel. Brakes are fine, I changed them last year and took the wheel off to check and I have practically full pads.

So while diagnosing the problem I've noticed sometimes the screeching doesn't start right away. For example, I can drive hit a bump in the road and then it starts.

I've checked the dust cover and it appears fine. I've checked the rotor and it looks fine, the caliper looks good and doesn't seem to be stuck.

I took the wheel off and spun it without the wheel on. Interesting thing here is I can hear it grinding and feel it get more difficult to spin in one spot. For example Im spinning it and its fine until I get to one spot. The brakes don't appear to be squeezing on the rotor.

It definitely doesn't appear to be the bearings. No play what so ever.

HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!

Seriously, if you all have any insight I'd be FOREVER GRATEFUL!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Could you pull the rear disc off and check the condition/operation of the parking/emergency brake? Something may be hanging up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No change in the noise when pulling the Ebrake.

I don't know what gives... No bearings. No caliper. No brake wear indicators. No slotted or pitted rotors. No dust shield issue. No rocks stuck in dust shield etc.. No ebrake issues.

Im seriously at a loss!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So..... I found a video here with the EXACT same sound that I am having. Apparently people were telling this guy in another forum that it was the dust shield, unfortunately he never posted back to say whether or not it was.

http://s1182.photobucket.com/user/brett11580/media/d760fcb0.mp4.html

Does that sound like the dust shield rubbing the rotor? I looked at mine and it doesn't appear to be rubbing, but maybe I am missing something. It is definitely not the brake.

Thoughts?

Also, here is the forum where I found it: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3009542

1 - 9 of 9 Posts