Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 Elements rear door latches always come loose, this has been a problem plaguing my element from the first year of owning it. The screws come loose and then the latch is loose and off kilter. It makes the rear door not shut right or not at all. Well I guess the this last time was it for some of the screws, because i am now missing two. Anyone have the manual or know offhand what size screw they would be, or thread count, and so forth? Thanks.:?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I was thinking the same thing, but I have had unfortunate incidents before with ruining threads trying to match up bolts and screw threading. I was just trying to exact.

Thanks for the link, never knew of that site.

So get this, I asked my local dealer for the bolts, and they said they wouldn't even consider ordering them for me, I would have to order a whole new latch just for the missing bolts.

Thanks for the answer, I will do what you have suggested, I am sure I will be fine. :)

Anyone reading this - I will follow up with the bolt size.

·
Registered
68 Posts
"So get this, I asked my local dealer for the bolts, and they said they wouldn't even consider ordering them for me, I would have to order a whole new latch just for the missing bolts."

The screws that hold the latches in DO NOT come with the latches they are sold separately. Which latch comes loose, there are two latches on the access doors and they use different screws. The lower ones use a 6X22 tapered head the uppers are 6X12 flange style. If you need I can fax or pmail you the page from the parts catalog.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Fasteners

http://www.spaenaur.com/

These folks may have a distributor within reasonable distance from you.

If so, a sales rep might help you out. If you bring in the part they have pitch gauges and can usually find the right item in the bin. For me, the local shop even lets me take ones and twos out of the store to try the fit on a vehicle. I am referring to fasteners that are under $2 bucks, marked up a fair bit from their bulk cost, so they aren't risking much. Now they know me as I am there often and have special ordered some oddball items.

My local shop has a great select of vehicle specialty fasteners and trim clips etc.

There are several other national suppliers that might have a retail outlet nearby and friendly staff.

Best of luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts